birthday publication

Is it a good idea for our company to send out a monthly list of employee birthdays? We no longer publish the year of birth, but we used to. Do we have to ask our employees if they mind having their birthdays published? Is there any potential risk to publishing the birthdays?

Comments

• 27 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As long as the year is not published, I see no harm in putting out the list. We used to do the same thing at my old company. The only time someone would complain was if their name was left off the list.
  • I'd ask first so that anyone who does not want a birthday published can be left out. Some religions do not celebrate birthdays and you want to be sensitive to that possibility.
  • We publish a monthly birthday listing in our in-house newsletter. However, we have--for many years--also used a notice with each publication to advise employees they can request no publicity: "If you'd rather not have your birthday published, please contact Extension XXXX and your name will be removed from the listing."
  • We also publish birthday's and omit year and have a notice in newsletter tolet us know if employee does not want this info published. We have done this for quite some time and have had no problems. We are revamping our "new hire package" and will be including an authorization form for publication of birthday (NO YEAR SHOWN).
  • Same here. We publish month and day of birthdays in the newsletter and post a list separately on the bulletin board in the cafeteria. People appreciate it. But, we have a handful of people who do not want their information published (I'm one of them), so we honor that. We also have party each month for ee's whose birthday fall in that month. One time when I was inviting people, I asked one lady who did not want her birthday published (which it was not, but I did invite her to the party) and she about took off my head. I never asked her again.
  • There are many more people who do celebrate birthdays than who do not. Getting anal about this is managing to the exception. If someone wants to request their birthday not be noted, let them make the request, then try to remember to honor it. Don't go around asking everybody just on the remote chance one person may flinch. Posting birthdays isn't exactly forcing celebration on a person anyway. If she kicks up a stink tell her that by posting her birthday, you're alerting everybody to completely ignore her on that day. Rather than managing to the exception, I recommend you deal with it if it comes up. If you do what Scott recommends he would be the first to accuse you of going around questioning people, trying to determine what their religious beliefs were. Sorry, I'm sick of it all today.
  • I think you meant to bash me, not Scott x:D
  • Bad day or not, I agree with Don's point. We announce birthdays and anniversary's in our monthly staff meeting. Anything that gets them smiling and applauding, it helps get them in a receptive frame of mind for program information, guest speakers, whatever. In all my time here only one employee has requested we not announce his events. We honor his request. Not a big deal either way.
  • We publish a list each month. The employees' names are in alphabetical order and no date is given. If anyone doesn't want to be on the list they tell us and their name is omitted.
  • I don't see anything wrong with publishing a list - if you make darn sure not to leave anyone off. I don't do it - never have. I know it's considered to be good employee relations and maybe if I had staff to spare there would be time, but I don't have the time and there's something childish and unprofessional about the whole thing that puts me off. I guess I just instinctively feel that birtday's are for celebrating with your loved ones - at home. Also, I work hard to help all our employees and will do what it takes to straighten out their insurance messes, etc., but I draw the line at being sweet little momma. But that's just my personal curmudgeonly opinion - surely no one would sue over having their birthday put on a "happy happy" list.
  • xclap

Couldn't have said it better myself! I'm just happy to know I'm not the only ornery HR person out there x:D
  • Publishing birthdays and anniversaries is a pain in the rear end! God forbid a typo is made and one's name is misspelled their birthdate or anniversary year incorrect. Scathing emails fly around to the entire company berating HR for committing such a horrible error! If I had my way they would NEVER be announced! Guess I'm sharing Don's bad day!
  • We don't publish a list of birthdays, but for our administrative locations, we do keep a list and our "Birthday Fairy" sends an e-mail out on the person's birthday encouraging other employees to call or stop by to wish them well.

In our corporate headquarters (where I work) birthdays are a big deal. Trust me, I am currently sitting in my office, which is full of balloons, streamers, confetti, and various other decorations. There is also one decoration that makes reference to my being "over the hill." (Which I only take umbrage with because I know I am younger than the people who put it there!)

Birthdays bring some fun to a regular workday. Publish your list, if anyone does not want to be included, let them request to be omitted, and honor that request.

• Does that mean thst today is your birthday?
  • Yes, since after I turned I turned 30 I started counting backward, today is my 27th birthday.
  • We stopped publishing birthdays because it just became a hassle. However, we still to publish employment anniversary dates that coincide with special occasions with the company (2 years, 5, 10, 15 etc.)
  • How do you calculate anniversary dates for those ee's who left and returned after a absence?
  • We don't list birthdays any longer - the first one you leave off - all heck breaks loose. I don't have time - each department celebrates their birthdays. I say leave me out of it - for no reason other than - No time .
  • I publish birthdays and anniversaries in our newletter each month. I have yet to have an EE request not to be published. I have mis-spelled an EE's name. He justed teased me about having a blond moment. I guess I am pretty lucky and have understanding EEs here [yea right!!]

I wouldn't put a notice in or ask - just do it and if someone complains deal with that individual as it comes up. Good luck.
  • Hi Tish - I would put a notice in and ask - some religions don't celebrate birthday and others simply don't want to be bothered while their working.
  • NWAGNER:

We don't publish one; the GM does get a list for his information and action as he deems appropriate.

The GM likes to be able to recognize an individual's birthday. The office ladies know each other's birthday and will make a cake and get ice cream and have a get together for about 15 minutes. No big deal!

By the way welcome on board the forum!

PORK
  • We publish a list every month and post on bulletin board (no years published). A few people have asked that we not put them on the list. Some of it has to be with the 40 and 50 year old age bashing parties which I am not fond of. I think if people simply either wished the person a "happy birthday" or just had a cake and let it go at that,it would be fine.

I have to say this is the first place I have worked in my career where I have had people ask me not to put their name on a birthday list.
  • As part of our recognition emphasis, in our weekly newsletter we recently started listing anniversaries (we've always listed birthdays). We list how many years the ee has been with the organization. In addition, when an ee hits 5, 10, 15....years their manager presents them with their anniversary pin in front of other staff. I personally like it cuz I dont care how old you are, but I do care if you've been here a long time.