Recognition for Anniversaries

Do you have a program that recognizes anniversaries? What anniversaries do you recognize? Every year? Every five years? What sort of things do you give out to regonize the anniversary? Do you differentiate beteween salary and hourly employees?

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When an employee hits their 10 year anniversary they get a gift (worth about $500) from the company. Every five years they get additional vacation time, up to 20 years with the company. We have only had one employee make it 20 years (the company is 22 years old) and they got a gift worth about $3000 and an award. We always recongnize employee anniversaries in our newsletter. It would be way too much work for us to recongize anniversaries every year, so we stick to every five years.
  • We recognize five year increments. Employees get to select a gift from a list of items. some items are a camera, suitcase, walkman, wine glasses, watch, I guess everything is roughly around $50-$100 in value. I think the gifts get better as the years of service increase. We also get a certificate and a pin with the company name and however many years. It is typically up to the individual department if they want to have a little something more, like coffee and cake, etc. There is no distinction in our policy between hourly and salaried.
  • We recognize our 10 year ees with a company luncheon. We shut down (used to be 2 hours but found that was too long)for one hour. We give the ee a watch and a summit with their name and years of service. We also have a fresh flower arrangement for the family and they are invited to the luncheon. At the end of the luncheon that ee gets to go home with their family for the rest of the day with pay. We let them take the left over cake too!! We recognize 1st and 5th year ees with a jacket with the company logo on it. All of this seems to be very appreciated by the ees. Hope this helps. I have not been involved with a 10 year salaried ee yet but don't think we will do anything different.
  • We recognize 1, 3 and 5 year anniversaries (ours is a very high-turnover industry) and every five years thereafter. Recipients get a pin with the # years served and a gift certificate (up to $100). For 10, 15 and 20 year awards, they receive pins and a check for $500, $750 and $1000 respectively.
  • we give a certificate on years 1,3,5,7,9, 10 and annually thereafter. Exempt, non-exempt get the same certificate.

• We recognize in 5 year increments and exempt and non-exempt are treated the same. We can choose from about 10 different gift items that do increase in value for each 5 years of service - though none of them are that great. We also receive a company pin. The 5th year it has all emeralds, the 10th year one emerald is replaced with a diamond, 15th with two diamonds and the 20th you have all three diamonds - and trust me they are tiny. Because we are such a big company, we have an off-site luncheon held twice a year for all who have reached a 5 year plateau.

Elizabeth
  • We recognize every 5 years. The gift certificates start at $50 and go up $50 every 5 years. The EE's get to pick the place for the gift certificate and they are awarded at a luncheon that we have every quarter. Just recently we handed out (2) 25 year awards.
  • All ee's receive a nice pen at 3 years. When they reach 5 years we give them a winter coat or spring jacket of their choice with the company logo and a nice banquet. We are having our 5 year banquet tonight at one of the nicer restaurants in town. It is my 5th anniversary this year, so I receive recognition. But, I had to do all the planning.
  • Your party is tonight? Have fun...my little celebration was yesterday and I survived the ordeal.
  • That's right. You were stressing terribly over that, weren't you? And you survived! See? We were right. x;-)
  • I froze for a second or two but I don't think anyone noticed. You all were right and all your support was a big help, really.
  • We verbally recognize each anniversary during our staff meetings and give out some inexpensive pins for 5 year increments. Wish we could do more, but as a non-profit, we cannot justify using grant money and donor money on gifts, we plow it back into our programs.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-02-03 AT 02:36PM (CST)[/font][p]We are non-profit and high turnover also. We annouce anniversarys at our monthly staff meetings. Our child care staff have their own recognition program run by the program director - I am not involved in that. For office staff, I recognize 1, 3, 5 and every five years after that. At one year the employee gets a rosewood pen with our logo on it (cost is $5). At three years, employee has choice of a day off with pay or a $30 GC to store of choice. Five years is choice of two days off with pay or a desk name plate. Ten years is a day off and $100 cash and 15 years is a day off and $150. We just implemented it this year. If we have someone hit 20 years, we'll have to add to the list at that time!

For the previous two years I did something different however. I picked a theme for each year - one was picture frames and one was candles. Every employee got a gift with an approximate dollar value of their years of service. One year got a little votive candle worth $1 - $1.25, 5 years got a $5-6 candle, etc. I began this by saying in the staff meeting, "We want to frame your 3 years of service with our applause - you may frame whatever you like!" and "Thank you for the light you have brought into the programs, here is a little light back into your world!" I had "Candy" planned for this year, but the employees said they would rather not have something every year and be able to get something with the company logo or days off. We only have 35 office staff, so it never got very costly.
  • We do recognize five year anniversaries. We give a plaque and a gift certificate to WalMart valued at $10.00 a year. We give the service awards out at the Christmas (oops, Holiday) lunch each year. Hourly and salaried employees are treated exactly the same.

• We don't do anything until a person hits 25 years at which point the EE receives a gold watch, chosen by the president, with their name, dates, etc. engraved on the back. They ask the person to come off the floor and present them with their watch in the conference room and take a picture.

My husband's company begins the recognition at 5 years - they get a gold ring with the company logo engraved on it. Each subsequent 5 years get a diamond added which takes them to 25 years. They haven't been in business longer than 25 years so I don't know what they'll do at that point. Recognitions are presented at the annual holiday party by the president of the company.
  • We go one (logo-ed key chain), three, five, then every five years thereafter. We use OC Tanner, the employee can go on line to pick the appropriate year present. The items then come to HR, who ships them out to management staff so the gift can be awarded appropriately. Our HR manages five enterprises. The biggest is high turnover - the other four not so much so.
  • You have all given great input. Now, here's another question. What do you do when you implement a new recognition program, and you already have people that have passed those anniversaries. For example, you have an employee that has been here for 7 years, but did not receive any recognition gift at 5 years because there wasn't a program in place at the time. Now, you have decided to regognize employees that have been with the company for 5 years with a (fill in the blank). Do you have to catch up everyone that has already hit those milestones? I hear a lot of grumbling around here every time we start up a new bonus program. "I never got that when I had my anniversary. I've worked here 6 years and I never got anything."
  • We started from scratch and haven't had any complaining. I had gotten a few comments on an employee survey that they wanted to change from the picture frames, candles and such to something else. I did a survey to see what types of things they wanted and if they understood that it would begin "fresh". We weren't talking great big things either and that might make a difference. Good luck.
  • I went back one year and recognized any who had hit one of the milestones in that time frame. There were some grumblings, but basically they were glad to have something when before they had nothing.

Did the same when we took on four other entities October 1, 2002 (hey, had 'em for a year yesterday...my anniversary!) and awarded all from October 1, 2001, and on. Worked out pretty well.
  • We publish anniversary dates in our monthly newsletter for each employee who started that month. Then at our annual employee apprecation dinner we award pins to employees who have hit 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, etc. The pins have different gemstones in them to signify the year. When an employee hits 25 years we get an individual gift to give them at the dinner. People like wearing their pins at work and to outside work events. It has our logo on it and it's really nice with the gemstone in it.