Vacation Donation

Our United Way Committee has come up with an idea for an auxiliary fund raiser. They're asking if we would allow employees to donate vacation days that would then be raffled off.

Other than the obvious cost differences if a lower paid employee's vacation day were purchased by a higher paid employee, I do not see any drawbacks or roadblocks, but I thought I'd raise the question to the HR Gurus.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added

• Immediate gut level reaction. I don't like it for the exact reason you stated. I could see allot of our very low paid employees donating their days on impulse because the immediate money looks good and can see highly compensated employees buying those vacation days. It doesn't seem equitable somehow.

Elizabeth
  • Some clarification-[ul]
    [li]The money raised would be given to the United Way rather than to the employee who donates the day so there is no financial reward to the employee.
    [li]The company normally donates a certain amount of money to assist in the fund-raising efforts and this could be used to offset the potential additional cost.
    [/ul]I agree that someone who makes $62 a day would not be able or likely to spend nearly as much as someone earning $250 a day and so there would be an element of unfairness in that they are less likely to be able to purchase the day, but in the respect that it is a fundraiser, certainly more $ would be raised.

• Of course, you said it was for charity! So, I would guess if anyone wants to donate a day or two, that would be fine. I would have to guess that would end up the higher compensated employee anyway or at least someone who has amassed allot of vacation. Though, personally, I never can have too much.

Elizabeth