Good Taste

We have a disagreement among my staff and would like your input. One of our employees has posted in their cubicle an article which has variously been attributed to George Carlin, among others. It's called 'Bad American'. You may have read it, but if not, it's available (there are different versions) at: [url]http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/carlin.html[/url].

The version that's posted at our worksite doesn't contain the second to last paragraph, sorry, I can't find the version that's posted. Question: Would you allow it to be posted in your workplace? This is in a site that's generally not frequented by outsiders.

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No, I would not allow it in the workplace because as a statement it hits on topics such as politics and religion, which are inflammatory and could be viewed by co-workers as offensive. And the fact that it's in an area that's not well traveled is irrelevant. Not to get off on a rant, but I am continually mystified by people who insist that their work area is just like their living room, and of course carries the same constitutional protections. It's crazy. There's a reason why it's called "work." It's not like being at home, nor should it be.
  • Oh boy.... this one is sure to stir some debate. I counted 27 statement that George made and I have to admit I agree with 19 of them, some very strongly. And there were a few others that I had no real strong feelings on or only slightly disagreed with. But, I see myself being a long way from being like George. My perception he is a leftover hippy from the 60's and I am a very conservative individual. I'm almost surprised that my views come so close to his.

All that said, I'm in a quandry about how to respond to it. Some would find his views offensive and some would find his language offensive. Primarily because of his language, I am not a fan of George Carlin. So, what to do? My initial reaction is if it was posted publicly where others could see it, it would have to go. If he had it posted at his work area and it was not easily viewed by others, and it was cleaned up, I would let it stay.

It will be interesting to see any parallels to the discussion on religious postings. Some of us conservatives ruled in favor of the religious postings and some of the more "liberal" members ruled religious postings should be disallowed. Will the opinions be the reverse this time or be in lockstep?
  • I wouldn't allow it anywhere at work. Potential discrimination and harassment issues aside, even if we agree with concepts in it, it is worded in poor taste and inappropriate for the workplace.
  • I guess I am leaning a little towards Ray's view. I do agree with a lot of the concepts of what George Carlin is trying to get across, but it is probably too inflamatory for the workplace. George Carlin has done some funny things, though - his routine on "Stuff" is hilarious if you ever get a chance to hear it.

I think it's not so much of the content of his message that's offensive, but some of his language is a little "blue" for a lot of tastes (especially workplace).
  • I disagree with most of the statements contained in the article -- but that aside, would ask the employee to take it down, put it in a folder and should he/she wish to read it take it out, read it and put it back in a private folder. It has absolutely no place posted in the workplace.

Additionally, since George Carlin has denied being the author of this ranting, I would not contribute it to him. He is much funnier than this piece. In my opinion this article is more mean spirited than funny.
  • I agree with Geogre Carlin most issues and also with most of the other responses: it does not belong in work.
  • Think George Carlin is great. However, there is a time and a place for everything. I would have it taken down.
  • I'm not even going to download the link. I love George Carlin's on stage humor and have read each of his books. There is nothing better to occupy one's time on an airplane. He can make me blow most of a whole Coca Cola and half a bag of airline peanuts straight out my nose with a one liner. I can rattle off the seven words faster than most people. I have an eight-track and several cassettes and three videos and a CD by George. How I would love to have lunch with him and Richard Pryor with Billy Crystal as the waiter. Having said all that, I am sure that I would not agree with posting whatever it is in the workplace.
  • There was a similar "freedom of speech" thread recently, however it was in a government workplace setting. If I recall correctly, it seems the government employees had more "freedom" than is being discussed for private company employees. All of the workspace is owned by the company, and the company allows some bit of personalization. Once an employee is allowed to do any level of personalization, pandora's box is opened. Various dust collectors, plants, air fresheners, fans, etc. all have the potential to create some level of irritation, offense or harm to others or to the company. You begin drawing lines when the company becomes "exposed" to financial harm. If the exposure in there, then you are justified in having it removed. Do not be surprised of other employees in the company begin testing where the edge of this rather flimsy envelope is. These things have a way of snowballing; when one ee gets his/her feathers ruffled, more will follow.
  • Freedom of Speech is a protection one has only as relates to the Government imposing a restriction, not a private employer.
  • Nope, I wouldn't allow it and I would ask them to take it down. You know what really bites? I love George Carlin and now I have to question it. While I appreciate his straight forward approach and freedom to say what he wants, I don't agree with a lot of his comments & I'm actually unpleasantly surprised by several. Oh well, there's still Jon Stewart x:-)
  • Ok, I am going to disagree with most of my esteemed colleagues and say its ok to post the rantings you listed above IF and ONLY IF it fits in with your company culture and similar type postings have been allowed from all sides in the past.

If this is new or pushing the envelope for your organization, don't allow it. However, if this is the kind of stuff your coworkers regularly chuckle over in the break room, I don't see why not.

Paul in CB
  • mwild31: Don't get too down on George Carlin, as it says at the end of the linked message, he denies writing it.

Thanks everyone for your input.
  • Mwild31, I do not think this was actually written by him. I have seen his stand up and some of the views posted here are in contradiction to what he says at his shows.

Simply put, I allow people to personalize their work space, so long as it is not offensive or could be viewed as offensive by internal and/or external customers. If this were one of my employees, I would ask them to take it down as I would any politically polarizing comments or postings. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
  • Thanks for your responses - I feel much better x:-)

ps - I still wouldn't let an employee post that particular piece in the workplace.
  • Why did Scott's post make you feel better? It made me feel worse. x;-)
  • because I can continue to enjoy George Carlin...