Pretty Tough Morning

This morning, one of our employees came in to my office to inform me that his cancer has returned and the doctor doesn't give him much hope.

Needless to say, things that, just moments before, had priority just don't seem important to me now. I'll get through the day, but this hit me pretty hard. Thanks for listening.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Things like this can really get us down, but remember, others depend on us even more during situations like this. Two days ago I just turned on my light and my phone rang. A supervisor was calling to say they had to call 911 earlier that morning. One of our ee's was having severe chest pains and it appears he suffered a heart attack. He is only 5 years older than I am. He will probably pull through, but it makes you think.
  • I definitely know how you are feeling. I administered all company leaves for a period of time & had several people with terminal illnesses, mostly cancer. I lost 3 employees during that time. After working on their disability with them for so long, it hit pretty hard when we lost them. I'd get everything set up for everyone else - EAP for mgr & teammates, flowers or donations, benefits issues, etc. & then try to take it easy for the rest of the day. These things affect us just as much as it does others. Hang in there & know we're here if you need to vent.

• Our employee who had cancer made a profound impact on all of us. She came to work to the last two weeks of her life. She came after chemotherapy and radiation treatments. She came in with ace bandages on her arms that kept the swelling down that was a result of treatments. She wore a wig and put on her makeup and best smile everyday. She was determined to beat it. She did laps in the "Relay for Life" survivors' walk because she was determined to survive.

She lost the battle but won her war. She wanted her life to count for something. Her life counted as one of the most impacting statements in our community. We all learned something. We learned that relationships are worth more than things, that our jobs consist of a lot of minutia in the scope of life, and that all people don't die of old age.

I understand, too, how you feel.

• ONE VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE IN THIS LIFE OF OURS FOR EMPLOYERS. DON'T ALWAYS TRY TO KEEP AN ILL EE ON BOARD BECAUSE YOUR HEART TELLS YOU IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO! WHEN WE DO, WE MIGHT JUST HAMPER THE EEs ABILITY TO GET ON TO MEDICARE AND MEDICAID! We had a young married employee less than 30 years of age. A great young man and a friend of everyone, he was a critical member of our wash bay team that washes and sanitizes our vehicle trucks and trailers. He was the best and most reliable. He began to have swelling in his ankles and wrist; a worker's comp injury at first, absentism and sickness became the issue, we both hung in there with him with less hours and less pay for some time. Finally, a physician found the problem it was TYPE 1 DIABETES. The doctor disqualified the ee from working in our arena AND HE WAS TERMINATED FROM OUR EMPLOYMENT. While he was going through all this sickness I encouraged him to get to the SSA and get the paperwork started work SSA Disability. They denied him disability because he was still not unemployed over the past 6 months. Finally he got it and his medical expenses and his disability is for a life time, and we hope a long one. However, he recently called and he is now in medical trouble because his kidneys have failed! He thanked me for helping him get unemployed when that is not what he wanted to do at the time!!!

HANG IN THERE, BUT DO WHAT IS BEST FOR THE LONG TERM INTEREST OF THE EE!

PORK
  • Don't forget about your vendors, too. The wife of our main supplier, used to come in even during the time she had cancer and chemo. I remember when she would come in , having lost all her hair. Finally, she was too sick to come in and was sent to the Mayo Clinic. Even there, she would specifically call me and ask ME how I was doing. Last January , Jamie passed away. She touched all of those around her.

Chari
  • I am a breast cancer survivor. I have been cancer free for 6 years. The treatments for the cancer were the hardest things I have ever had to do. I continued to work and had wonderful support from the owners of the company and from my coworkers. Now, one of my closest friends at work just found out she has breast cancer. It has brought all of the memories and fear that my original diagnosis gave me. It is important that employees who are suffering from difficulties receive support from us and are made to feel that they can still contribute. Just having a positive attitude can make a huge difference in the out come. My oncologist said that the cure is 90% attitude. If you believe you will survive, chances are good that you will.
  • It's amazing how many people are touched by chronic illnesses now, family or employees. We lost an employee the first of the year with cancer - she had been terminated from a previous job after 12 years and was desperate to work. She lasted about 7 months after she came to work with us. I will never regret making the decision to hire her as she was an inspiration to everyone who met her and made our petty problems seem like nothing. The lady would literally stand up and hold on to a copier to keep from passing out. She didn't want pity and never asked for help if she could avoid it.

We also lost a security guard very suddenly due to a ruptured anurysm (sp). He was a great spirit and we still miss him greatly.

Please, please everyone...get your yearly checkups and ladies, please get mammograms. My 40 year old cousin was diagnosed on a fluke with breast cancer. She joined a health club and they waived the initiation fee if women would go get a mammogram. She is alive today because of early detection.