Provide training/school for unqualified applicants?

I figured I would start with all of you as I know there is alot of experience out there... :-) We are located on a reservation and want to be able to hire more native americans in our plant, however, are running into some obstacles. The most obvious one is that we require a HS Diploma/GED which many don't have.
The owner of our company had a meeting with the tribe yesterday and told them that we would provide them with a "proposal" of how we will help them - provide them with "training" they may need so they would be qualified for open positions, help them get their GED, and so on... Again, I wasn't involved in this discussion and am now just being told to "put something together"..???
My thoughts... we have entry level positions that really don't require any experience (sure it helps if they have some, but it's not required.) Type of experience? Maybe forklift, handling haz waste/chemicals.. How do we help them get that kind of experience without hiring them first? I'm confused.... :-)
Any of you have any ideas on this as I really am not sure where to even start...
Thanks!!

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-25-03 AT 02:05PM (CST)[/font][p]Does the ability to perform the job functions truly require a diploma/GED? Or is that an outside requirement? (licensing, etc.)

Just curious. I've come across educational requirements that aren't truly necessary in order for the employee to perform the job functions - sometimes managers/owners just like to see the requirement.

I didn't really answer your question about putting together a program, but maybe the requirement isn't really necessary after all?
  • I'm thinking along the same lines as HRQ...is a GED/Diploma really necessary to do this job? I think its really a great idea to help them get a GED after they are hired though.

Can someone be taught to work a forklift as part of on the job training or do they need a special license? As far as hazerdous materials training, OSHA must have something you can look at and implement.

• JUST RE-READ YOUR POST: the answer to your question on forklifts is, all who drive a forklift must be trained and certified on the specific forklift on which they are driving, a driver's license is issued and used to prove to any OSHA inspector that the individual is certified. Reservations, however, may be exempt from OSHA standards, you should check with State Osha representatives.

PORK
  • I think it is awesome that your company is reaching out to the native american population. We provide many educational and literacy services in our community with some special programs for the tribes. GED classes are very popular.

Perhaps you can offer evening GED classes while the employees are in an introductory period. During this period, you could have them shadow the jobs you target for them. This shadowing project could be aligned with the GED classes and eventual testing. When they get the GED, then the shadowing is completed and you have an eligible ee who is trained up. Contact the Bureau of Indian Affairs and see if they have any work/study grant money to help defray the cost. You might be surprised.
  • I'm unfamiliar with the term "shadowing"... what do you mean by shadowing their jobs, etc.??
  • Its following someone around while they work, like a shadow, observing them.
  • The first thing to do is get rid of the HR/Ged requirement. It is doubtful that it is job-related. Look up the Duke Power case from the 1970's for the rationale. Since you are on a reservation the discrimination rules probably do not apply so the reason for getting rid of it would be practicality - just to make it easier to hire residents. Do you have a local community college that could help through some sort of partnership that you could put together? If you have one, they may already have partnerships going in other places so have experience in your unique workplace.
  • I agree with the previous posters who question the necessity of the Diploma/GED for entry level jobs. This could result in a "disparate impact" for native American applicants, many of whom you recognize as lacking this credential.

However, if your company wants to stick with the requirement, check with a nearby community college to see if they can arrange for a GED-prep class on your plantsite, or at least at a facility in your community.

You could possibly do a "provisional hire" for these individuals - allow them to come to work for you in an on-the-job training mode (that's how most individuals learn forklift operation, handling of hazardous materials, etc.), with a requirement that they complete their diploma or GED within a reasonable period of time after hire.
  • On this same subject... IF we decided not to require a diploma/GED... as we are a hazardous waste facility it is extremely important to know that our employees do know how to read and comprehend English (for MSDS's, manifests, etc) as well as just safety reasons. Do any of you use some type of "test" for applicants that would tell us their basic reading/comprehension?
  • >On this same subject... IF we decided not to require a diploma/GED...
    >as we are a hazardous waste facility it is extremely important to know
    >that our employees do know how to read and comprehend English (for
    >MSDS's, manifests, etc) as well as just safety reasons. Do any of you
    >use some type of "test" for applicants that would tell us their basic
    >reading/comprehension?

You should be having applicants fill out the application at the time they come in for the interview. This will help with if the person can read and write. I would think that most Native Americans would be able to comprehend English.
  • kymm: First requirement is to assess where does your requirement for high school graduate or GED come from? We had that standing rule when I became the HR for Coca Cola Bottling Company and for my current employer, in neither case did we have a need for that level of education. Additionally, we brought into the Bottling company a team from the local junior community college and they tested and found out the level of education of the current work force. They at best reached a 6 grade level with the majority fitting in the 3rd grade level. We contracted with the community college to provide on sight education training in basic english and math, with an intent to move to providing a ged proficiency course to achieve GEDs for those that did not have a diploma. After a year of training and shutting the bottling line down at the end of the 2nd shift for two jours of classroom work while on the clock. We retested, and there had been some improvement so we started the GED program at least all could read at the 6th grade level. Shortly thereafter we were hit with a UNION DRIVE which failed, but the company felt injuried that almost 49% of those in the classes did not appreciate the efforts of the company and the program was cancelled for like of funds. Within two years the state co-op took over all bottling and the plant was closed. Upon arriving in my current company I simply ask "where did the standard for a high school diploma come from; when no one knew, I ask if anyone cared if we stopped recruiting high school graduates and GED qualified persons. We dropped the issue and we have never missed a beat in finding people to employee who are qualified. We don't build "adam bombs", we participate in the development of God's animals, the "pig" and baby "pigs" at that. We have 10 Hispanic wonderful employees that neither read and write but they sure are good at "breeding sows" and "pulling pigs". Your personal assessment of the physical task required is what is most important. There are excellent training programs for "forklift" with tv, practical exercises, and testing to certify a forklift operator. As long as one is not blind and deaf you can train very well your forklift drivers on each specific type of forklift you may have in your inventory. We have a female Hispanic who has learned all of our procedures and she instructs in Spanish verses English.

I hope this helps, good luck, what type of industry are you associated?

PORK