Why Can't People Behave!

We have another crazy situation here in our medical practice. Young lady works between two departments. Young man in the department gets overly concerned with her whereabouts when she leaves her department and goes to another department. Gives her a hard time...that's not the worst part. He makes suggestive remarks to her. "What did you do last night, play Pokeman?" and then he asks her "Do you get it, do you get it?" Also, he found out that she is going to have some breast enhancement surgery (wonder how he found out?) and is constantly telling her why she should not do this, etc and so on. He also comes up to her and attempts to rub her shoulders, etc and says things like "I need A hug". Anyway...she is offended, but doesn't want us to say anything to him because he will "make my life miserable." (Like he hasn't already?)

Anyway...the supervisor rightfully reported it to me. I told her that I would have to talk with both parties and investigate it thoroughly. As I've told the supervisor before, this department is WAY too "touchy-feeley" with each other, coming up behind each other and giving shoulder rubs, etc. This type of behavior is quite common in the medical arena, but I find it too familar for the workplace.

This will be the highpoint of my day, I am sure.

I NEED A HUG!

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don't get fresh now! How did this guy find out about her breast enhancement? Regardless if she is uncomfortable she needs to tell him to stop and if that doesn't work then you will have to, in the interest of the company, follow up with disciplinary action. Good luck!
  • I don't agree that this behavior is typical of 'medical arenas'. Sexually charged work environments are cultures that have evolved and it happens throughout the industrial spectrum, wherever you find management that doesn't pay attention to the development and maintenance of appropriate behavioral expectations.

The solution to this one is simple. Call the 'boy' in and read him the riot act. "One more backrub, one more touch, one more inappropriate comment (as defined by HR), one more incidence of obsessing as to her whereabouts, one more comment or suggestive body language directed toward her in an inappropriate manner (as defined by HR), one more remark about her physical appearance and, Mister, you have no job here; and the quickest of all possible ways for you to self-destruct your employment here is to retaliate in any manner, make a comment to her about this conversation or in any way harass her (as defined by HR). Now, tell me exactly what you understood me to say."

You will get a hug as soon as you get home. The Maytag man may be there.
  • The "boy" has been duly chastized and warned. We'll see if we have a part two in this soap opera.
  • The Maytag man is dead Don! x:'(
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-25-03 AT 08:34AM (CST)[/font][p]Yeah, I wouldn't be hugging Gordon Jump anytime soon. I would also be very interested in knowing how he found out about her upcoming surgery.
  • >[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-25-03 AT
    >08:34 AM (CST)[/font]
    >
    >Yeah, I wouldn't be hugging Gordon Jump anytime soon. I would also be
    >very interested in knowing how he found out about her upcoming
    >surgery.

I am sure it was from her telling someone and they passed it on. I am constantly amazed at what employees tell others and then get offended when it is all over the organization!

• >You will get a hug as soon as you get home. The Maytag man may be
    >there.

The Maytag man died this week....a moment of silence for the Maytag man and the mouse......
  • Sounds like it may be time for sexual harassment training for the entire staff. A good film and powerpoint presentation usually does it (for awhile at least).

And here is a hug for ya -- without touching that is.
  • Don D - I thoroughly enjoyed your solution, but what I appreciated most was the final line "Now, tell me exactly what you understood me to say". How many times have we used that line when training someone, to confirm understanding? It makes even more sense to use it when disciplining (is that a word?) an employee.
  • Dasher reminded me its time to schedule our annual Harrassment training refresher. One lawyer in a training program recommended do it every six months. He also suggested a practice which we now follow - give a three question test at the end of the training. Anwer yes or no.

Training Test

Does the Company have policies regarding FMLA, ADA, and Illegal Harassment?

Yes_______ No ___

Have you received a copy of the handbook outlining these policies?

Yes_______ No ___

Do you understand that it is your responsibility to read these policies and ask questions regarding anything about the policies that you do not understand?

Yes_______ No ___

Print your name: ____________________________________________

Sign your name: ______________________________________________

Date: ________________________

The trainer then followed up saying: "If any of the answers are no, repeat the training and the test. Of course, this goes into each ees file.

• Tell Mr.Hands that if he doesn't clean up his act you will force him to read all of the religious oriented threads on HR Hero forum and then summarize them with a haiku.

Paul in Cannon Beach
  • PiCB,
    Thanks for the smile. I believe I will use this threat in the future, for other performance/work habit issues. x:D

• Paul! That would be cruel (no question) and unusual (for sure)
  • Paul, that was a good one! thanks for the laugh.