Employee Evaluations and Anonymity

I am curious to know if companies ask employees to identify themselves on employee evaluations or if they keep it completely anonymous (with the exception of supervisors).

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We actually ask employees to identify themselves on a peer evaluation form however the only people that know which employee said what are me (HR), the supervisor, and the Customer Service Director since he reviews the review. That way, if a supervisor has questions regarding certain aspects of the employee’s peer evaluation form, they can discuss it with the employee who submitted the evaluation. For management employees though, the mgt. employee is given the comment forms so they know what their peers said about them.

Personally, I think that it is better for employee to remain anonymous and only HR know for tracking purposes. I think that I would receive more in-depth evaluations from an employee's peer if they remained anonymous. Right now, I receive lots of good comments about an employee from their peer but very few constructive comments. I think that there is a fear that the employee receiving the review will be penalized by certain comments and the employee's peer does not want to create any waves within their team.
  • Having had only non-productive experiences with 360 degree appraisals or peer appraisal processes, I don't recommend them at all. But if you do have one, anonymity makes them even less productive. JMO of course.
  • EE evaluations of the company and immediate management are annonymous. We've found that this is the only way to gain honest responses.
  • We do not have formalized peer reviews. But if people have comments regarding other ees, we make them "own" their comments. We make a conscious decision to have people go to the source. No interpreting comments through intermediaries. If issues cannot be resolved after a couple of face to face decisions, then we are able to take other steps. This approach limits the sniping, gossiping, and the covert comments that people cannot or will not make on a face to face basis.
  • I'm not a fan of the 360 format, but if your company insists on using it, then people should sign their names to the feedback - the manager/supervisor giving the review signs his/her name - why not the others who are contributing? Just some thoughts.