I-9

Well I am full of quesitons today :) Must and employer HAVE a COMPLETED I-9 form BEFORE an ee is allowed to start working? I understand the importance of the document but I am under the impression we can not allow anyone to being work until this is complete. Is this true? x:-/

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Nope, you can wait three days that the ee works before the ee HAS to have the documentation and I9 filled out.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-17-03 AT 02:29PM (CST)[/font][p]PAGE 3, PART TWO,PARAGRAPH 3, SAYS, "FULLY COMPLETE SECTION 2 OF THE FORM WITHIN 3 BUSINESS DAYS OF THE HIRE". PARAGRAPH 4 SAYS: "IF YOU HIRE A PERSON FOR LESS THAN 3 BUSINESS DAYS, section 1 and 2 of the form I-9 must be fully completed at the time of the hire - when the employee begins work.

Now if you read the EMPLOYER HANDBOOK and stop reading at the third paragraph, then the previous poster is correct, you have three days; however, like a professional HR will always do when answering anyones technical question about our HR world, you'll find the answer that you have grown to know. Sections 1 and 2 must be completed at the time "when the employee begins work"!!! PART THREE, PAGE 3 says: " Have your employee complete Section 1 at the time of hire -- when they begin work -- by filling in the correct information and signing and dating the form".

page 4, section 2: "If employees are unable to present the required document(s) within 3 business days oF the date of employment begins, they must present a receipt for the application for the documents(s) within 3 business days.....so now the government says only a receipt is required and further in the paragraph it will tell you they have 90 days to actually provide the appropriate document.

You must retain the form I-9 for 3 years after the employment begins or 1 year after the person's employment is terminated, which ever is later.

YOUR FRIENDLY HR! PORK