Contact Information

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Can we legally make some one provide a telephone # or an address?

Example: We are trying to determine for efficiency purposes which of our forms are mandatory for supervisors to fill out or have new ee's fill out...One of those forms is a Emergency Contact form and requires for the EE to give their personal address and telephone#

A lady came to me and said we can NOT require someone to give their telephone number or address so we can not require them to fill out this form? Isn't this information required on an application also?or is it considered optional there too? is this true? x:-/?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • An address is something you can require an employee to provide for a variety of reasons...insurance, payroll, W-2, etc. but keep in mind they can provide a PO box and that is sufficient. As for a telephone number, this was addressed recently in another post but my thoughts are that unless you can prove a business necessity for your having that information, you cannot require it.
  • The only time we do not allow PO boxes is in states where Payroll has to deduct locality or city taxes.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-17-03 AT 02:06PM (CST)[/font][p]You can require a telephone number on the basis of having a contact in the event of an emergency. The prior post that was referred to was about requiring employees to be able to be reached at any given moment when they are not working. That is unreasonable. Giving an emergency contact # is not unreasonable. I would have a policy that states that you will not give that number out to anyone other than the employee. Advise her why you need the number and it will not be given out. If she still refuses advise her that she can NOT work here if she chooses.
  • I agree with SMace. Address it in your company policy and then enforce it. I love when employees come in and 'know the law'. Sometimes they do, and sometimes the don't. Ask the employee what she is referencing & then check it out.
  • you could also ask her, heaven forbid, if she drops dead on the job what would she like you to do?
  • GREAT! I knew I could count on my good friends at the Forum for straight answers! I think they would drop dead if I said that xclap

But it made for a good laugh for a Wednesday afternoon! You guys are great!