What do to - New Job

Hi guys,
Need some advice please :

My career history is as follows :

14 years with 1 Company, spanning 4 diffferent countries, followed by 1 year then retrenched, followed by 1 year then left to take on what was meant to be a years contract with fantastic opportunities that subsequently ended up only being 4 months.

I am currently unemployed, however I have been offered a job which is ideally not what I am seeking to do and have reservations about the role.

Do I stick it out in the unemployment market or should I take this job and then look for another. I am worried that my tenure has not been very lenghtly in my previous roles, and if I take this job and then leave after a short period of time I will be doing myself a greater disservice.

On the other hand it is a job in this market.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know what your personal situation is or why you don't think this present offer is "for you", however....
    When I recruit, I tell "young people" not to take a job you wouldn't be happy doing for at least 3 years. I don't think it is fair to you or your employer. But, on the other hand, many people have taken a job that they didn't think they would like and found out it was perfect for them.
    Do you have any other prospects in the pipeline?
    Just remember, looking for a job is a full time job. If you take this job and want to continue looking, will you have time?
    Good luck.
    E Wart
  • My thoughts, Lara:

I was laid off only once and hated being on unemployment. I took a menial job while I job-searched, but my employer knew I would continue my search.

When I interview very qualified people for a position beneath their expertise and education, I ask them if they are using my position as a stepping stone until something else comes along. Some people are honest, and of course, are ruled out.

It's going to be a personal decision.

Good luck. Let us know.

"Sam"
  • Don't worry about the dates as long as your explanation of them makes sense to whomever you are selling yourself to. Nor would I worry about how long I may be in the next role. If the one available to you is something you can use to engage your talents and is somewhat in line with your career goals, go for it. If I were interviewing a candidate, I would rather learn that he took a 'stop gap' job than hear him tell me he just sat it out on unemployment waiting for something to come along. Who knows, that job may last you 37 years! Good luck.