Job posting etiquette

I'm actually a college student of HR and for my Personnel Law class I'd like to do a short paper on "What are the components of a job posting?" In other words, what has to be on a job posting and why-what laws must be followed in the wording of a job posting, what CAN you say, what CAN'T you say (and why not)
I'll be retiring from the Navy in a few years, and want to get myself ready for the job market, which is why I am back in school.
Any help/guidance/suggestions/websites would be GREATLY appreciated!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Swede: We have often been called upon by college students and so called study groups to do what amounts to 'doing their papers for them'. I have often replied on The Forum that I don't support our doing that. However, yours seems not to exactly fit that category as I feel that you are going to actually do some research yourself rather than simply copy someone else's notes. It is a red flag when someone's first or second post is one asking for the help of hundreds in writing his/her college paper. It's not so much 'what MUST an ad state' as it is 'what MAY an ad state'. Anyone placing a classified help-wanted ad may say whatever he wishes and can afford as long as no law is violated. Nothing should be said in an ad, and papers will screen out most, which tends in any manner to indicate a preference for a person based on their age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability or, in some few states, sexual persuasion. Likewise, nothing can be stated which would tend to exclude or disuade persons of those protected groups from applying. The EEOC will tell us that the only things which should be included are the specifics which represent BFOQs, Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications. I know and have experienced personally the fact that federal and state agency representatives read and scrutinize job ads and will call or write you if you do violate these principles. When my wife and I were young parents we placed a line ad in the local paper for 'a retired person qualified to keep two children under the age of three'. I got a letter from the head of the District Wage-Hour administration office, attaching my ad and highlighting the 'retired' part. He quickly assumed I was going to pay cash. I was the manager of the Local Employment Security Office.I sent him a reply, enclosed my business card, and told him to kiss my ass. Good luck with your coursework. Also check out the DOL websites; EEOC, Wage-Hour, ADA, Older Worker and others. It will probably be Monday before you get many replies as I'm probably the only one rained in this afternoon waiting for Mississippi teams to play tonight. x:-)
  • Thanks! I suppose I can also broaden my question a little more. I have been to the DOL, EEOC, even the Supreme Court sites. Now that you mention it, I am also interested in stories and experiences by people who have posted jobs, just like yours.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-14-03 AT 06:45AM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-14-03 AT 06:42 AM (CST)[/font]

It's early Sunday and I have other suggestions and comments: (1) Rather than broadening your question further, let us know specifically what YOU have done in the way of research. You say you have "Been To' DOL and EEOC. What specifically did you learn there? What are the results of your research? Who did you talk to or what site did you spend time researching? What notes did you make and how is your outline coming along? What are the three most important things you learned from each visit, specifically? If you will list those things for The Forum, we will be able to critique your analysis and perhaps keep you on track. (2) I have another assignment for you. Go to the local newspaper, go-don't call or email them, and ask to meet with the classified manager or one of the staff in that department. As for 15 minutes and you'll get it. Interview and take notes. Learn from him/her what specifically a paper staff will and will not accept and what they will strike from ads. I hope you will do this leg work and research on your own. I don't know what school you are in or if it is a correspondence course, but I think you will get a zero if all you do is submit things that people like us sent to you. Unless it IS a correspondence course and in that case, it will be worth nothing. (3) You are not going to energize the good people of The Forum unless they think you are investing something of yourself in your project. Good luck to you.

Oh, by the way. How long have you been in the Navy and what is your rank? Where are you stationed? What will be your MOS on the DD214? I'm a curious guy.
  • Don gave you a good answer concerning legal requirements. Since my location has a relatively high unemployment rate, I tend to be swamped with responses when I place an ad, either in the local paper or on an on-line board. So, I try to say what specifically the successful candidate needs to be first considered and ultimately hired. The ad will start with a brief description of the company, who we are and what we do. I list the actual job title, a brief job description, who this position reports to, education requirements, special certifications/skills requirements. Then I list the main benefits they will receive and how they can submit resumes along with my name. We are a federal contractor and must write an annual AAP report, so at the end of every ad I place a statement concerning equal opportunity.

The primary concern is to attract to right candidates who meet all the qualifications for the job. The ad has to be written concisely to be cost effective, but with enough information to get the job done. If I were to include any pictures, I would be required to highlight minorities and women per my AAP.

Let us know what grade we helped you get on this paper.
  • One thing I did for a Recruitment class was look at the Sunday want ads and find what I thought to be 'good' postings and 'bad' postings. I then outlined why I catagorized them as such. I found that was a worth while exercise and I really learned alot from it.

Good luck.
  • Swede, can you tell us what topics your Personnel Law class covers? What book/books did they require? There are so many different curriculum out there that I am curious how much your couse emcompasses.