updating policies

I was just wondering how many of you have a lawyer review your new and updated policies before you put them into practise?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I only pay the lawyers when the new policy is clearly on the fringe of what we should know as HR professionals is correct. With the large volume of excellent research material available, which includes government websites, SHRM and some others, I feel comfortable in developing almost all of my company's policies.

I have developed a practice of reviewing this before managers and supervisors, and HR peers I have work with, to look at the policy from a practical, operational, ethical and legal standpoint. This is the most prudent step I have learned to do over the last 20+ years.
  • that's exactly how I feel, but the owner is insisting we send our updated policies to our lawyer. I have spent a lot of time on them and I feel that they are well written. I have gone over them with all the managers and they feel that they are good and even the owner thinks they are good, I guess she just wants the reassurance from the lawyer. I guess it is her money.
  • I would take the approach that I need to be thankful that I have upper management that is concerned enough to want a legal opinion. There have been numerous posts on this forum concerning policies or lack thereof or a total disregard by senior execs, that to have one concerned is refreshing. Several years ago in a different life, I also re-wrote most of the policies in a handbook and thought I had done a heck-of-a good job. When the CEO wanted to get our attorney to look over them I was upset and thought there was no need and wondered why he would question my expertise. (Not to say you have those feelings - there is that don't mean to offend disclaimer!) In today's climate of everyone being sue sue sue happy, I would definitely welcome a legal opinion to make sure that all i's are dotted and t's crossed and all the wherewiths and whatif's are covered.
  • We are currently reviewing/rewriting all associate/manager/HR policies and we've actually requested that legal read the whole thing.

Mainly it's a CYA thing. Plus, since they handle any eeoc claims for us, they can make sure we are covered on everything.

Nrdgrrl
  • thanks for the replies. Now that it has been mentioned, I guess that my bubble was burst when I heard that my work had to be double checked, but it is "better to be safe than to be sued". x:D

p.s. no offense was taken to any previous posts x:-)