Pre employment testing

We have an employee that we question if they can read or write. The positions they are in are caregiver role in an assisted living facility.
Some applicants may come to an interview with their application already filled out or have dropped it off previously. It is required for the job to be able to read and write, especially since they give out medications. I guess my question is, how can we screen for this? Does anyone have any advice or a tool for preemployment testing to screen for this without being discriminatory?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We require applicants to complete the application at our facility. One of the reasons is we can be sure the application is completely filled out and if we have questions the person is on hand to ask. By having them complete the applications at your facility you would find out quickly who can read/write. On numerous occasions we've had to help an individual fill out the application.
  • In addition to the above consider having a written list of questions for each applicant. Automatically checks their reading and comphrension skills and each applicant is is given the oportunity to answer the same questions.
  • Roep,

I just purchased a pad of 50 "Skills QuickCheck" forms. The form is just one page and tests basic math, reading, comprehension and writing skills. If those skills are necessary to the jobs you are hiring for, this test might be an inexpensive solution for you.

For example, a caregiver should be able to read so that he or she does not give a patient the wrong medications.

I am not sure if advertising a company's product is ok on the forum so if you e-mail me, I will give you the name of the company and contact info.

Paul in Cannon Beach
  • that would be great if you could give me the information.
    Thanks

• The test suggested by Paul may, or may not, satisfy your needs - that is the problem with off the shelf tests. It sounds like it tests for things that are not part of the job description, so you may end up screening people out for unrelated skills. If there is a discriminatory impact to that and you are challenged you may have to prove the validity of the test - that it actually proves what you think it does. Why not develop your own test - ask the person to write some things that they will actually have to write and read some actual forms or whatever that they have to read.
  • Thanks for your suggestion, it makes the most sense to have some job related questions for the applicant to answer. Thanks again.