CLOCKOUT TO GO FOR RANDOM DRUG TEST?

WE DO RANDOM TESTING ONCE A MONTH. WE DO NOT DRIVE THE EE'S TO TEST. THEY ARE GIVEN 15 MINUTES TO GET TO SITE. SHOULD WE HAVE EE'S CLOCK OUT IN CASE OF ACCIDENT DRIVING TO/FROM TEST BUT STILL PAY THEM FOR THE TIME? ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED. THANKS, SANDIE

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't believe it would make any difference if you have them clock out. They're on the payroll, and need to be since they are doing 'work' for you, so clocking out won't make any difference.
  • We're a union facility. Our EE's do not clock out in situations like this.
  • The issue will be in the event of an accident were they within "the scope of employment". The answer is yes, so if they have an accident, it would be workers comp. Second, you should in my mind be paying them and I would be wage and hour would agree as it is a required activity.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Union or not, I believe if you require them to go for a random you should consider that time on the clock just as if you required them to go to a seminar. As to whether or not it would be a comp accident, I would let the insurance companies sort through that. But, the reality of that will not changed based on whether or not you actually had them on the clock. You will also encounter some 'discipline opportunities' when workers realize they are being paid to malinger and not come directly back. If you track this prior to paying them and again after paying them, you will notice a dramatic difference in the amount of time it takes. But, so it goes.
  • Is it possible to do on site drug testing? It only costs us a few extra dollars, but we feel it is worth it....something to consider.
  • I agree with Lola. I used to send people 25 miles away, to the nearest facility, for the random drug screens. It would take a good 1/2 day of work and we paid them for it. For a very modest fee, the health organization we used sends a technician to our facility to collect the samples. We also can better control cheating.
  • The cost of on-site testing is minimal in comparison that to the cheating that can go on. Sending any employee for drug testing without companionship(how's that for tact), can defeat the purpose of the testing. Even if we were not unionized, I can see no reason not to pay them for driving to the test. It is the same as a mandatory meeting.