George Orwell was wrong

I'd like to hear your opinion and experience with employee monitoring. Have we gone too far? I don't think the government or "Big Brother" will ever monitor you as much as what we do as employers.

I work for mid-size manufacturing company(about 60 people)and we are using Biometric thumb prints to monitor our employee's attendance. We have website filters/blocks and our email is reviewed on a consistent basis. We have a call monitoring system that tells management how long you are on a call and lists the phone numbers (incoming and outgoing).

I think this type of monitoring eventually starts to negatively affect morale. Our sales team is under pressure to make at least 50 cold calls every day. We just discovered that our most experienced senior sales person is randomly calling fax numbers in order to keep his call numbers up. What's even more disturbing is that the sales supervisor seems to have been guilty of the same behavior, to a lesser degree.

The sales person has been warned about the requirement of making a certain number of calls -- he's fallen short before and he's not making his sales numbers. I'm getting his "last chance" performance improvement plan together and we will soon be having a discussion about this latest incident.

Any insight to explain this type of behavior and/or how to deal with it? Or is this a symptom of a lack of trust in our workplace? I'm afraid that this may just be the tip of the iceberg.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Soho:

Sounds to me like your company has taken monitoring to an extreme. Perhaps you work in a high-tech industry or one with corporate espionage issues?

It seems from your statements that your morale has certainly been impacted. There are people who react negatively to strict scrutiny and I would think that a real sales personality would be in that group. I would think that you could judge your salespeople by their results - certainly this is one of the most measurable areas you deal with. It seems to me you could set a performance target and then deal with your underperformers according to your policy, rather than play Big Brother with their telephones.

I am curious about how your hourly workers like the thumbprint method? It gives me the creeps but perhaps they don't mind.

I don't know how you deal with this kind of behavior except in a straight- forward manner by asking why he did it. Looks like your people are behaving like teenagers fooling mom & dad rather than mature employees doing their jobs. And if your supervisor is participating in this you could really have a problem.

Just my thoughts but you may want to try to take your employee's temperature - perhaps through a survey.
  • I have some experience in this area. I think your going to start running into this behavior more and more. Constant monitoring seems to always lead to low morale. Think about how all this monitoring is helping productivity. Probably not very much. This type of behavior is not all that uncommon for cold callers. There is always a high level of burnout in this type of environment. Address the lack of productivity issue. Mention to the emplyee that this type of behavior is not acceptible. This employee may be burned out and talk to them about this. Ask this employee if he feels he can continue.
  • 50 cold calls a day seems rather high. In an 8 hour day, that is approximately one call per every 10 minutes. Depending on the length of the sales pitch, it sounds more like telemarketing than regular sales.

I would agree with the first poster- what is the outcome that you want to achieve? If it's sales, why not have the goal be a sales goal rather than how many outgoing calls are made?

Part of my responsibilities in HR is to run our HR call center, so I too can track everything on their phones. Do I? Nope. If they are making the core statistics (There are 3 that we count), then it doesn't matter to me if they make personal calls, etc.

If the associate doesn't make their goal, we use use progressive disclipine because their stats are so important to what they do.

Like the saying goes, it's not what you expect, it's what you inspect.
  • We do an excessive amount of monitoring as well. Sometimes I think this should become a portion of people's job descriptions. However, although we record information pertaining to internet use, telephone logs, and movement within the buildings, we tend to only use the information when another discipline problem surfaces. Since violations of the internet use policy, and telephone policy can warrant disciplinary action....

From my personal perspective, I have to say that it does decrease the morale among staff. For the most part, we are grown-ups and we know that we have a job to do...taking 10 minutes to check the headlines does not make us less effective...but the policies are needed for those that allow such access to interfere with job performance.

Good luck!
  • Are you saying that because you have one or two bad apples that excessive monitoring and lowered morale for everyone else is necessary? Why not just address the bad apples?
  • Every employee nationwide in our corporation gets, among other things from Big Brother, an email report showing how many emails you got during the previous week, how many were determined to be spam and how many were deleted. I can't figure the criteria because I get lots of emails telling me I have a posting to review on HRhero. Then I get to the figure that shows I have at least 10 a week from "nobody at M.Lee Smith customer service". If 90% of them get thru to me how can 10% of them that are identical be spam? So, now I don't even open the email report. Probably somebody else does though. Gillian, I suppose you would even have a problem with the cameras I have in the restrooms!!
  • Don - Doesn't everyone have cameras in their restrooms and locker rooms?
  • I just don't like managing to the exception. Re. the restroom monitors - you don't spend a lot of time in the TV room do you?
  • Yes, you're right. The push to be productive and increase revenue creates a high-stress environment and lowers morale. Welcome to the United States of America in the year 2003. You're either on the ride or off. Me, I prefer to be on. While it's always good to try and build morale, I do not see the logic in questioning your entire system because a couple of people got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Since your monitoring system works so well, apparently there are many other people in your company who do not seem to have difficulty in meeting the standards. I suggest that they are the rule and the cookie jar folks the exception.
  • >> Don - Doesn't everyone have cameras in their restrooms and locker rooms?

Just the women's... everybody knows it would be too gross to have cameras in ours.
  • Not if you consider it anthropological field study - examining the species in its natural habitat.