E-mail signed RIP !!

OK folks, this is really bothering me.
I have a somewhat awkward relationship with my boss. She often has me do personal tasks for her, and a portion of her work. Over the summer, she was gone a few months on FMLA. It was during that time that the COO discovered that she was not doing many of her tasks correctly, and that I was actually completing many of her assignments and/or covering for her. Due to problems regulating her insulin dependant diabetes, she sometimes doesn?t function reliably. Now, she is back, and taking a lot of heat.
Anyway, I sent out a reminder memo for everyone that Monday was payroll (we are a healthcare facility, so were open on the Holiday), and timecards needed to be turned in by 10:00 am or the employee could expect payment to be delayed. This message was sent to the secretaries who are responsible for printing timecards on the hourly staff, and forwarding them, as well as all staff that complete a handwritten record. Salary staff forward a sheet that indicates how many hours of vacation or sick time are requested, if zero, they get paid for 80.

So, today I have a response from my boss. It stated that she was sorry that she didn?t submit her hours, however, if she isn?t getting a check on Friday, she won?t be here for the next payperiod. I thought this was just a bit of childish venting. Anyway, she signed her e-mail RIP. That creeps me out. I?m not sure what to do. Can this be perceived as simple joking? We still work very well together, and are both civil and professional. (I thought) Do I bring it up with her, or go over her head. I am really uncomfortable with this now. To make the issue more confusing, she responded to another email appropriately, and even forwarded pictures to me of her newborn grand daughter.

Your thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

K

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Let her know that it bothered you. If it was a simple mistake she can rectify it. If it was a joke she can explain. Here on the forum we have often confused humor with anger. Electronic correspondence is susceptible to that. If she gets upset or it was sent in anger then there are further issues.
    Also if she is mad at you and you still got the pictures it may mean that you are on a list.
  • Deez is right about electronic tone of voice.

If you're able to call her, I would do that. Clear it up and eliminate any misconceptions. If it turns out that she's angry, handle it at that level before going to anyone else. It doesn't appear that you are expecting any more or anything different than from other exempt staff.

You could take the hard line and not get her a paycheck, or you could grant grace. If you do the first, you'll force her to make a choice. If you do the latter, you open another door for other employees.

Ah, decisions! decisions!

"Sam"
  • Why not ask her if she's feeling okay, and mention in an off-hand way that you were concerned when you saw the "RIP?" That will give her an opportunity to explian herself, which should make you feel better, while improving your relationship.
  • Hi K

I don't want to stir up trouble, so only take my advice if you feel in your gut that you should.

I'm not sure from your post if you are in HR or not, but if you're not, then I would report this situation immediately to HR - they need to be aware & take any necessary action. For me, based on the information in your post - there are some red flags going up. Complaining to a subordinate about submitting payroll information, suggesting that they may not come back if they don't get paid, sending an email that contains RIP & under an increasing pressure from work for performance - unless this is normal and ordinary behavior from your boss - should warrant a call to HR. You're not alone - this email would bother me too.