employment verification

Just picked up a voice mail asking for employment verification for one of our managers. How confidential is this kind of thing? Do I let the CEO know?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No need.........probably just looking to verify employment for a loan. I only confirm information they have. Dates of employment.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Balloonman, thanks but the call was from a competitor, not a bank or other financial company. I returned the call and the person told me it is definitely in connection with a job. Is there any reason why I should not tell the CEO?
  • EVERY time I get an employment verification on a current employee, I let their supervisor know. If it's unclear whether it's for a loan, a job, whatever, I just ask the caller what its' for. In most cases, the supervisor knows the employee is looking.

If it happened with executive staff, I'd do the same thing. My loyalty is with the company. If the employee didn't want us to know she/he was leaving, she should have asked her potential employer not to call references yet. I did the same when looking for my current job. After the final interview, I told my boss what I was doing and told my potential employer it was OK to call for references.
  • Awww well that changes it..........first couple of thoughts, is he a good employee or a bum? I mean if he is a problem child being hired away may not be a bad thing. Second how much access does he have to confidential information and does he have a non-compete agreement? Then what do you normally do when you know employees are looking?
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • This is a great company to work for so this is my first time (in 2 years of HR) that I have come across this situation. Employee is in charge of our marketing department, and the company that called is our biggest competitor. We have a non-compete agreement of sorts. I reviewed it after I first started reading the forum early last year and discovered it was extremely inadequate. I recommended we update, but it was put on the back burner.

We have had employees in the same position leave us before and take a good portion of our business. The guy who did the most damage by far was the only salesperson I ever talked to who had a thing about integrity (I found it highly ironic). Since this is a small community it was decided that getting nasty about it would do us more harm than good in the long run.

I have let the CEO know. The ball is now in her court. Thanks for the help. I love this forum!
  • NaeNae55: Where in the world have you been? Obviously, you have had a very busy summer and little time for this posting stuff, (an addiction you know!)I would not tell anyone, there are more reasons for seeking employment verification than seeking another position. Now if more information comes your way that moves you to know more distinctly that we are about to loose a leader due to resignation, then, I might seek out whatever, level I felt necessary to check the waters on how the company feels about the loss of the person. Given the perception he/she is important to the future I would then so inform whoever needed to know. Another person you might choose to inform is the concerned individual. He/she might give you some insite that "they are buying a home and I forgot to tell you they would be calling to verify employment"!

PORK
  • NaeNae: I don't mean to offend. Just kidding. Anytime I have ever gotten a call like that, simply verifying employment, I have informed the individuals supervisor of the fact that I responded to such a call on one of his/her direct reports. Certainly if it were a manager, I would advise several layers of management. No reason not to. This isn't typically a call involving a loan if its a recorded message wanting verification only. As PORK usually says, 'put it back in the manager's hands and let them do with it what they may'.