Toiletseat blues

2»

Comments

• Being the Queen of my house (live with husband and two sons), I've always blamed the bathroom overspray/splash factor on height. The taller they are, the harder to aim. However, I must say, women can be bathroom nasty also. I have to use the public bathroom at work. I try to remember to look before I sit, but invariably I forget and discover a wet seat too late. The bathroom is located across the hall from the swimming pool, so I try to convince myself that it's wet from someone who has been in the pool. It's just pool water...
    I don't know how some women manage to make such a mess. If not sitting on the seat is sooooo important to them, why don't they think a dry, clean seat is important to the next person???
  • There are lots of times when the mess usually attributed to bad aim, is actually caused by splash. Ladies think if you were sitting another 2-3 feet higher. Would there be some splash?
  • For me, that use to be a major concern constantly brought up by female employees, but not anymore. First, you need at least another restroom, one for women and one for men. That will help to relieve some of the problem. Women out number men at my company so naturally the women have more restrooms than the men. My facility has 11 separate restroom locations, a couple with multiple stalls. The next thing to do that is inexpensive is to install and maintain a supply of disposable (flushable) toilet seat covers in the restrooms. That alone brought our cleanliness and sanitary standards up to a new level for both men and women. Being further concerned about cleanliness, each restroom has a bottle of hand lotion which has motivated staff to wash their hands regularly because who wants to apply lotion on dirty hands? It really works. Since the installation of the disposable seat covers and with the addition of lotion, complaints about toilet seats have literally stopped.
  • Here at HRhero HQ, we have those ridiculous high-pressure toilets. When you flush, it sprays water into the air and some of it lands on the seat and floor. Like a toilet and bidet all rolled into one. If you have one of these moronic contraptions, that might be part of the problem. But not the whole problem, I'm sure.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Lee: My wife swears she has never "sat" on a public toilet in her life. So I assume she is aiming from somewhere between 6 inches and a foot higher than a seated visitor. Thanks for making me use my imagination! Reminds me of those two guys relieving themselves over the edge of the creek-bridge railing. One says, "Man, that water's cooooollllld!". The other one smiles and says, "Deeeep toooo."
  • not to mention if the bottom is sand, mud or clay
  • YUK! Those are old stupid jokes!

It's scary - my husband and my son think that's funny, too! And to make matters worse, my son thinks like Don D! He believes it's his right to have the seat left "up" just as much as women expect it to be down.

"Sam"
  • But if you think in averages, the guys need the seat down about 1/2 the time (and during the middle of the night, but husband like to sit all of the time), the ladies need the seat down ALL of the time, so doesn't it make sense that if the seat needs to be down at least 3/4 of the time, that DOWN should be the norm?
  • How about a motorized seat with a sensor that detects when no one is there and the seat is automatically lowered.
  • I bet the Japanese have that! I saw some type of home show in Japan and they had an automatic toilet. I don't know exactly how it worked, but the seat and lid stayed down and as you approached it, the lid went up. I am not sure how the seat part of it worked. But it also played music (I guess soothing melodies to help you along). Those Japanese, I have always said that they are strange people (and before anyone says anything, I am Japanese and readily acknowledge the poking fun at myself).
  • Hmmm... yeah, I like that idea. Something similar to the "La-Z-Bowl" model that was on Home Improvement? A padded, reclining model with a footrest and a magazine rack?
  • S Moll: You have described the perfect son! The boy has early promise!
    Moneyman: That law of averages you cite, on average, will at least, 50% of the time, get a buttocks stuck inside a cold, porcelain ring. But, be that as it may, go with your theory if you have a handtowel nearby or if you don't intend to sleep with your spouse tonite.
  • Don D, Though I perceive him as a "perfect son," the boy is 33, married and has three youngsters of his own. He's a little innovative in his thinking sometimes, like the toilet seat. It's a form of non-violent rebellion from being raised with three sisters.

Now he has even moved to Tennessee!!!

"Sam"