Employee Claiming they should be paid for unused vacation time

Our company's situation involves an employee who had a disciplinary action (first warning) in June. She was in her early 50's and had never reported any medical problems to her supervisor or our HR dept. Her one year anniversary with the company was last month. After one year of service an employee is eligible for one week of vacation. She was scheduled to have a one week vacation the very next day after her one year anniversary.

The day before her vacation she apparently erased her voicemail message, cleaned out all of her personal items from her office, erased all emails on her computer, etc. None of this was discovered until the next day (the first day of her vacation) when her supervisor went into retrieve a file from her computer. It was assumed at that point that the employee was planning on abandoning her position when she returned to work after her paid one week vacation. The company does not pay for unused vacation time after termination/resignation.

Our HR director called the employee at home to inquire and she stated that she was planning on coming back to work but had thought about resigning in the near future. She became upset with the HR director when she asked if she was only trying to get paid for her vaction time and then planned on quitting. The conversation ended with the employee becoming very mad that she was being questioned about her actions regarding cleaning out her office and finally offered her resignation over the phone that day.

The employee was told that she would be paid for that day of vacation but not the other four days because they would fall after her resignation date. When her final paycheck arrived and did not include the other four vacation days, the employee sent a letter to the company saying that she was taking that vacation time to rest for medical reasons and we were violating ADA, FMLA, etc. by not paying her. The company never received and doctor's note, nor documentation that she had a medical problem. Any suggestions on how to handle this situation?

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think you have. She only used one day of vacation and resigned. She never told you the week was going to be for medical reasons, your policy does not pay out unused vacation, and she resigned. I wouldn't respond, because you will simply get more arguments.
  • I would inform her as you stated, that she has not made the company aware of any medical condition that would be covered by FMLA. Had she been honest with the company FMLA could have been granted. However as she has resigned FMLA no longer applies. ADA has nothing to do with being paid for vacation. I would also reiterate that she voluntarily resigned and per policy vacation will not be paid out.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Quick question: Does state law permit you to not pay for accrued but unused vacation? Some states consider vacation a form of deferred compensation. In the same scenario here in Oregon, for example, she could have resigned the day after her anniversary and we would have to have paid her for her unused vacation anyway.

But given the scenario it sounds as though you acted appropriately. She can't assert ADA/FMLA claims without documentation and you're under no obligation to give her the benefit of the doubt. If she wants to press the issue, let her get some documentation and then duke it out. Good luck.
  • If I were on vacation and the HR manager called my house and berated and questioned and harassed me into saying I was resigning, my attorney would question the company's conclusion that I had 'voluntarily resigned'. I conclude that your HR manager had absolutely no business doing what he/she did. Regardless of the company's suppositions, the woman told you she was on vacation. Paying her for the remainder of the vacation week will be one heluva lot cheaper than settling this prior to or IN court. This 'heavy handedness' puts some of Don D's rantings in the s-h-a-d-e.
  • I don't know. She cleaned out her office and cleaned off her computer. Sounds like quitting to me - and not very nicely either. Do you have some sort of policy regarding destroying company files?

But in the end - paying out the four days of vacation may be a good trade off for all the muss and fuss. Let us know what you do.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-27-03 AT 11:05PM (CST)[/font][p]What was her explanation as to why she cleared out her e-mails? Was she able to offer any help as to the original question being asked of her? Depending upon her response, would make a difference in how the conversation proceeded.

Was her performance up to par? It sounds like she may have done this as a result of receiving a warning. People react differently to this depending upon their prior experience with other organizations and their perception of what it means.

Initial reaction is that would have waited a bit before forcing the resignation and asked a few more questions. However, if the questions were asked and the person stonewalled, would agree that it's likely best to part ways and would agree with an earlier posting and not argue over 4 days of pay. Think of the money you save in unemployment...
  • "Dandy Don's Twin": Now you are writing like "Dandy Don", and I concur. I believe the HR over stepped the arena of quality service to the employee and the company by protecting both!!! WoW the "Attorney Dawgs" are foaming at the mouth and ready to spring into action. It reads to me like: "ADA, EEOC, Hostile working environment, discrimination toward female, age". This would have been the perfect situation to hold off and let's see how the situation unfolds.

I would certainly call her back as the CEO/President and tell her we have reconsidered and if she'll formally resign we'll pay her the $300.00 for the vacation accrued, earned, awarded, and not only that but we'll line up the HR, her supervisor, her department manager, and let her face them face to face so she can tell them why she was so unhappy that she simply wanted to fade away in the night and not distrube all of you uncaring "big business soles"! If she will not resign or come in to teach management about leadership and prevention of UNION drives, then pay her and open a defense file and start to gathering all of the available important documentation. "How did we get to this low level of management of our people"!!!

Ya'll definately need to eat more PORK to sharpen one's control and management of RISK ACTIONS, the brain is not in gear!

MAY WE ALL HAVE A BETTER DAY TOMORROW, SOMEONE WILL ELSE WILL HAVE TO BLESS THIS DAY, FOR IT IS OVERLY ORIENTED TO THE "WE DID IT BECAUSE THE DEVIL GOT US".

PORK

• I believe that your assumption was correct that she was not planning on returning as the evidence (cleaning out office, erasing files from the computer, etc.) bears out. However, I believe I would have approached it from this front "Sally, I tried to retrieve a file from your computer and I can't seem to locate it. Could you please tell me how to get to it." Then, she would have had to explain where the file was. This way you are not berating or accusing her of anything, but she knows that you are on to her.

All in all, it appears that she was trying to get paid for the vacation and not planning on returning, but weigh the worth of the four days of paying vacation vs. the aggravation you will have to go through in dealing with this employee and possibly going through legal channels (whether they are warranted or not).
  • One of the main issues is what your state regulations are in ref to paying out vacation. If the state does not mandate the payout, then I don't think you will hear from the lady. Yet, I agree with those who think paying the four days is worth it to avoid any continued dealings with the lady. Which would help with the probability of not hearing from her.

The smart, from the employee stand point, way of doing it would have been for her to get the vacation, come back to work and resign. Had she done that, you would have paid for her vacation and would have "lost" her(bon voyage!).

If she went to an attorney, what does she have? No documentation that the employer is aware of or should have been aware of (correct?), not a stellar performance, and a low service credit. Not much to start thinking of a 2004 model boat...

Plus, she is on a huge hook for distroying the company data!

• Hey Don,
    You are assuming a heavy handed approach by the HR Mgr. Don't assume now.............but you do illustrate how the scenario can be twisted around to try and put it in the employee's advantage.
    We purposely do not accrue vacation as we go along, it is awarded on the aniversary date, and our policy specifically spells out that it is not paid out. My spitter just found this out.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I wouldn't pay the employee the vacation time unless state law mandated it. The employee's actions gave you every indication that he wasn't planning on returning. The fact that the employee "got mad" at being questioned about her intentions is more likely a result of "getting caught" than anything else.

As far as her FMLA/ADA claim, from your post it appears you weren't provided ANY notice regarding the POSSIBILITY of her needing some type of accomodation and/or a medical condition. Keep in mind the EMPLOYEE bears some level of responsibility in informing their employer. Employers (as far as I know) are not expected to have ESP.

If she were to go to an attorney, more than likely she would be asked about notification she provided to her employer regarding her medical condition, etc.. In absence of documented "proof" that she was mistreated or denied her rights, what can she provide to them to substantiate her claim?
  • LindaS: Her story line is "I did not know that......,I just felt a very hostile working environment and I'm stressed and to embarrashed to tell anyone about my female problems, that is why I needed rest and a chance to see my doctor. I was going to come back if the doctor said I was ok, etc, etc,and etc."

I believe the only way to save lost ground is to have a senior leader very quickly jump in and get the injuried employee away from seeking legal assistance.

PORK
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-28-03 AT 08:19AM (CST)[/font][p]If you do pay her out the 4 vacation days to "quiet her ramblings" just be careful of setting a precedent that this will happen in the future. People like her tend to blab to others about what she "got away with".
  • Just one more word of caution: An employee who tells you he/she is unable to return to work at the moment due to what he/she describes as a disabling condition is not required to have given the company any advance notice or to have provided the company with any sort of documentation prior to having gone out on the vacation. We often see this with FMLA absences when the employee cannot return to work at FMLA expiration due to a disability and that starts the discussion all over again with the required 'interractive process', searching the horizon for reasonable accommodations. I'm as certain as the rest of you that she scammed you; but, she may be clever enough to be doing an end run on you.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-28-03 AT 09:17AM (CST)[/font][p]Everyone is probably correct that this employee was not coming back after vacation. I agree with the twin, though, in that it would have been better not to have forced the resignation. Technically it wasn't forced but that is how it will come accross. That never looks good to outsiders. In any challenge to the company actions, she will say that she intended to come back, was cleaning out E-Mails because she does that periodically, the ones that were erased that should have been kept was just a mistake, the company knew that she was sick and she would have applied for a leave if she had been allowed to come back - which the company didn't allow her to do by forcing her into resigning. It could have been handled better.
  • If, no one had called her, my gut reaction is she would not have returned from vacation and/or formally resigned and she could have been discharged for abandoning the job. Nice and clean. If she had returned (depending on your rules), you could terminate her for erasing e-mail, a file. Instead, the HR Director got the employee angry and created all sorts of potential liabilities.
    What was HR director thinking?
  • WHATEVER, NY: Are you sure you are from NY, your position is very close to we Southerns.

I know what it is "You are eating more Pork" and we are reeping the benefit of your wisdom.

Hay Don glad to see you woke up and cmae in from under the "ole oak tree", "Dandy Don's Twin" beat you in to this place this morning!

I take that back, now that "Dandy Don" has arrived, may all have a BLESSED DAY and take ever word on these postings very serious.

PORK

PORK
  • This is getting scary. It can't be because I'm eating more pork, I'm Jewish...I just remembered, I don't keep kosher. I have the answer, it's the influence of all my relatives who live in the south (mostly in Florida). Or, it could be all those "senior moments" I seem to be having lately. Or maybe, but highly doubtful, a computer virus moved from the the computer, to my fingers and into my brain. Or.....

• Le see now, How important is it to know that she was 50 yers of age? and that she had a disciplinary action given to her back in June? Do you treat employees different because of their age?

I agree that circumstances appear to be: Employee was taking her vacation, and not coming back. However, I agree with one of my colleagues. I would have approached this differently. I think the bull was taken by the horns to early. (You used the word ASSUME... Hae your director of HR to put a plus in between the last S and U)

As for vacation pay, check with your state. In California we have to pay un-used and accrued. You state she was scheduled to take her vacationDid she request her vacation in writing? It

Your HR director must have not had his/her thinking cap on that day. For being a director... should have known better. This employee can definetly make your company spend some money in legal fees.

I recomend a call back to the employee, go over the facts from both sides and mend ways. Pay out this vacation deal and try to move on.

Good Luck

• Okay....I have read the mixed responses on here and feel I need to clear a few things up. The employee was never asked ot forced to resign. The only reason the HR Director called her at home was because she handles a certain number of our clients who became immediately confused when they called in and received a generic voicemail and wondered what was going on. This prompted her supervisor to go into her office to look some info up and noticed everything was abandoned. In order to provide customer satisfaction and prevent confusion, the HR director only called the employee to inquire as to why she cleaned everything out and what her intentions were. There was never a forced resignation. As one respone said, she became immediately defensive because she was obviously "caught" and then became upset and resigned.

No one had any notice of any medical condition leave until 2 weeks later when she noticed that her vacation pay was not included in her final check. No mention was made of the medical condition in the final phone call when she resigned. Our state law does not require unused vacation time to be paid out because it is not "accrued" vacation as stated in our policy handbook. It is not a choice to use as deferred comp. or actually take the time for vacation. The employee is encouraged to take the time or lose it. Any add'l thoughts? Also, if we hear anymore from her, we will probably just pay out her 4 days, until then, we will probably do nothing.
  • Sounds like a plan to me.......
  • Good afternoon, yes Don it is a plan! Remember, the post is from the "Show Me" state, I expect that is just what she is also planning to "SHOW YOU"! Do nothing, and very short order One can hear the "Coon Hounds" (ARE ALSO "dawgs") are coming to the "Show".

pork