Travel for Interview

We have a mid/uppper-management position posted right now and I have two applicants from out of state. One, is one of my top picks early on.

We are a small not-for-profit company and we do not have any available budget to fly people in for interviews, or to move people to our city/state. Is it uncommon to require people to come in for an in-person interview at some point in the process even if it means they will have to travel by plane to see us?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When I worked for a non-profit we did not pay for travel for candidates. Also when I interviewed here (government) my travel was not reimbursed. It is unfortunate, I think. Much more common private sector/business, i believe.
  • I interviewed for management candidates for our property in Alabama and two of the top ones were from out of state (Illinois and Texas). I advised them that if they chose to interview with us they would have to make their own travel arrangements as interview travel was not in our budget. Neither of them seemed surprised by that and both came in for interviews. One of them even told me that she has never had a company pay for her airfare for an interview.
  • I have on three occassions had to travel out of town for interviews. All three times the ticket was provided by the company I was interviewing with. I guess with a not for profit I would understand no travel budget. I also if it were posted with the job if there were no relocation. However I would not have interviewed with the companies if I were footing the bill for the trip. I have had these companies pay milage, taxi, and airfare.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • We also would not reimburse; however, before simply bringing in the candidate, we would do an extensive telephone interview to be certain he/she(and sometimes us after contacting a candidate this way) would want a face-to-face. We've found this can clear up misconceptions, provide an opportunity to explain your organization, the position/salary, etc., field some questions from the person, and determine if he/she really is interested in pursuing the opening.
  • I am your person for your position, I meet every aspect of the position with not only advanced education cridentials, but supported with on-job operational experience, currently doing the job in another state. Look no further, I am it, you'll have to accept my resume and facts provided as is, for I have been out of work for 6 months and I'm ready to start to work tomorrow. I have resaerched your organization, the community, and your leadership.....I am your person, you can stop your management search; however, I either require a letter of agreement for you to pay for the moving expense or provide a sign-up bonus for acceptance of the position "site unseen" which is equal to the amount or the cost to relocate to include househod goods, milage, and temporary living expense for a month. If you can not accept these terms of employment, then please turn your focus elsewhere---obviously, your place of business is not the place for the "dream candidate"!!! Does your operation not charge back to the ee the expense of relocation?

PORK
  • Pork,

While I can appreciate your point of view, we are very small, and have not hired long distance before. Additionally, while I suspect that this person may stay at the top of our list, there isn't any sort of chasm between this person and one or even two of the other, local, candidates. If we are faced with the scenario you described my questions would certainly be different.

In most cases I do an initial screening by phone and then begin the in person interview process. In this case, I will certainly have more lengthy conversations with this candidate before asking her to consider a trip to see us. We'll just have to see where we are as move through that process.

It sounds like there is a broad range of possibile answers to my question and I very much appreciate everyone's input!

Enjoy your weekend!

ALINOR