The Final Loudermill Question!!!!

We used the language "As a result of your violent behavior described below, THC COMPANY is contemplating serious disciplinary action against you, up to an including termination of your employment." Someones has now suggested that this is not specific enough....does anyone agree or disagree?

Sincerely,
Wading Through Municipal Labor Law

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I believe that since you 'describe the behavior below' it is specific enough. The ee is on notice of the behavior and potential consequences and has a chance to respond. Keep your waders on, the fun has just started!
  • I don't want to really second guess your language, but it would seem a bit inflammatory to say "As a result of your violent behavior". If the goal is to get cooperation and redirect behavior in the future and bring the ee around, would it not be better to say, "Following the discussions we have had regarding your actions on July 6, as detailed below....."?
  • You actually have to be very specific. The notice can make or break the case on appeal. You need to list the charges and the specifics so the employee is prepared to give his side. Below is sample of our letter. I edited out some info:

Dear Bad Employee:

Notice is hereby given that the (Employer) intends to suspend you without pay for twelve (12) work days for dishonesty, and/or sick leave abuse, and/or otherwise failure of good behavior based on the following: On (Date) you did not report to work or contact the office to explain your absence. You then told your Supervisor that you did not report to work on (Date) because of illness. You then submitted a sick leave request form for (Date). You later admitted that you lied to your Supervisor and that you were really incarcerated in the County Jail on (date).

A pre-disciplinary conference will be held on this matter on (Date and Time) in the (Location). At this hearing, the Employer will submit its case to support its proposed action, and you may respond to the charges brought against you. You may obtain the assistance of representation on your behalf. After the conference, the Hearing Officer will consider the information submitted and make a written recommendation.

This letter will be the only formal notice of the hearing. If there are any changes, you will be notified. Failure to attend this meeting as scheduled will result in a waiver of your right to a pre-disciplinary hearing.

Sincerely,
    Human Resources Director

You may upon signing this correspondence and returning it to the H.R. Office, waive your right to a pre-disciplinary hearing. Doing so will result in implementation of the proposed disciplinary action.

I fully understand and voluntarily waive my rights to a pre-disciplinary hearing in this matter.

• does the ee bring his own vaseline or is the municipality required to furnish it? This is 'worse' than being charged with a federal crime. And I thought the words "United States of America vs. Don D" was intimidating. I agree fully with documentation and rolling out all the relevant facts in the letter, but that was pretty daunting. I'll bet the ACLU is railing at the language but can't do anything about it. That's a good thing.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-21-03 AT 01:17PM (CST)[/font][p]Don,

You should come and try a spin in the public sector. Our staff not only have civil service protections and appeal rights, but they are protected by a CBA. We practically have to have the employee standing over the dead body with the knife in hand and a reminder note that says "pick up eggs, kill co-worker, get haircut" to have employee discipline stick. We win them only when we have all our ducks in a perfect row.
    Shawn
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-21-03 AT 05:14PM (CST)[/font][p]Shawn for years and years I did full-blown administrative hearings before a hearing officers of the County's Civil Service Commission on disciplinar and discharge actions. We also did discrmination hearings based upon non-discrimination clauses in our Cvil Serivce Rules.

We won a big majority of them -- at least our agency in the County did -- even though many of the hearing officers were philosphically more in line with a non-management attitude and sometimes even the commissioners were too.

We had a two roles in this "process." Firstly, we worked within the agency to assist supervisors and managers in dealing with problem employees -- documenting; counseling; disciplining; helping to write evaluations,; minor investigations; training; advising managers and sueprivsors various issues and actions. Thus we were able to get the process started on the right road and sort of plan ahead -- if we were contacted early.

We made recommendations to agency management on whether actions and to what degree should be taken in the first place.

We also formed allegations that would be the basis of disciplinary actions, including suspension and discharges, and wrote both the intent and final action letters specifying the allegations and facts to support them., Then we did the second part of our job. We represented the agency -- actually put on the case as non-attorneys without any legal counsel present to assist us -- before the hearing officers. These hearings had examination and cross, foundation of evidence, objections, and opening and closing arguments facets. The hearing officer had to find on a preponderance of evidence that the allegations and facts supported the action our agency took as spelled out in the final action letter. We would write similar style letters that you give an example of above. Ours may be were a little more detailed and we would give a "moralizing" pargaraph explaining or "justifying " why the action we were taking was approparite under the facts and overall situation.

The dual role allowed us to be familiiar with the case to a large degree. We understod the issues, had a pretty good idea of the detail and what actually went on. Thus we did generally an effective job both in preparation of the case and in presenting it. At the same time, in reading the findings of facts and conclusions of law, we saw the trends that were developing amongst the various hearing officers and civil serivce commissioners; we were able to feed all that back into the way we worked with the individual managers and supervisors in dealing with performance and conduct issues.

All in all, I must have presented about 90 or more cases, and been involved with another 30 or so in a 15 year period.

It was one of the most rewarding, interesting and challenging jobs I've come across.

• Thanks Shawn and Hatchet for that education. I'm just not familiar with the legislation. Was/is Loudermill the name of a legislator? In our state I'm not even sure it applies unless it's universal. We have what's called a state personnel board that conducts similar hearings and any ee up for termination has rights similar to those you describe, I think. We do not have a state DOL and have only a weak state worker association. This was interesting to learn about. Shawn, thanks for the invite, but I did a spin in the public sector. I retired from state government service in Mississippi with 25 years. Just never heard of Loudermill. x:-)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-21-03 AT 06:42PM (CST)[/font][p]I didn't have a clue either Don, so I looked it up. Loudermill was a public sector employee who won a case, short description below, and so all the i dotting and t crossing associated with it is now known by that name.

"Education v. Loudermill held that most public employees are entitled to a hearing before they are discharged."

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-21-03 AT 08:14PM (CST)[/font][p]Loudermill was a security guard of the Cleveland Board of Education. On his job application in 1979 he stated he had never been convicted of a felony. About a year later, the Board of Education found out that he had been convicted of grand larceny in 1968. It proceded to fire him some time in 1980.

He was already a permanent employee and could only be fired for cause. He appealed the discharge to the Civil Service Commssion where a hearing officer recommended that the discharge be overturned, apparently accepting Loudermill's position that he thought he had been convicted for a misdemeanor not a felony. The Civil Service Commission did not accept the hearing officer's recommendation but sustained the discharge.

Loudermill then took the matter to federal district court even though his appeal rights were normally for state court review. He argued that he was deprived of due process because he was not given an opportunity to respond to the allegations prior to his discharge. The district court tossed it out on tehcnical grounds, in 1983, saying that the post-discharge hearing sufficiently protected Loudermill's due process rights.

He then took the matter up to the Sixth Appellate District which held that he did have a right to a pre-termination hearing. The Board of Education then petitioned the US Supreme Court to hear the case.

I should note that by the time the case went into federal court, the California State Supreme Court, and federal courts in the country, including the US Surpeme court, had already heard arguments on this issue -- pre-termination rights of a permanent or propertied civil service employee -- and had sustained the position that the emplyee in those cases were entitled to pre-termination hearings. What Loudermill was doing was bringing the issue again and applying it to the 6th Circuit.

At the same time the Supreme Court heard the Loudermill case, it also heard a similar case also from the 6th Circuit. The Court made its ruling in 1985.

If you want to read the Opinion it is in 470 US 532. That's volume 470 of the United States Reports (meaning the US Supreme Court), at page 532.