NEED ADVICE!!!!

I have been in HR for a little over 2 years and have learned a great deal from all of you. I need advice and can't think of a better place to receive it!

We acquired a new company General Manager 1 1/2 weeks ago. I am Human Resources and report to the Controller/Administrator who reports to the General Manager. We have approx. 130 ee's.

There was a situation this morning in the hallway of our administrative building between a Department Head and a manager he used to supervise (there is a history of personality conflicts between the two of them). The General Manager was speaking with my supervisor in her office and I was in my office when I heard the manager arguing loudly with the Department Head. I walked out of my office to see what was going on and about the same time the General Manager came out and told them both to go into his office. All three of them went into the General Manager's office and had about a 15-20 minute meeting.

The General Manager has not mentioned this situation to my supervisor or myself as of yet; no investigative questions, NOTHING!--this was 3 hours ago!

The HR Dept. was developed a little over 2 yrs. ago and we have worked hard to gain confidence from our department heads and managers with HR. We had finally reached a very comfortable level with them and now I feel the new General Manager has put all of our efforts in jeopardy!

Would it be appropriate for me to ask him how things went in the meeting and if I could be of assistance in some way? What should I do? Thanks for any advice you may have!

Sorry this was so lengthy!!!!

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would discuss the incident with your boss and let her review thematter with the GM. Express your concern about consistency of policy application if that was an incident that would have gotten non-managers in trouble. But don't press the point after that. Just make it known that you're available to your boss or the GM if they need your technical assistance.
  • Thanks - I agree and your advice makes sense.

The incident would definitely have gotten non-managers in trouble. This type of situation has seldom happened since i have been here.

My boss has the same concerns as I do - we were waiting to see if the matter would be brought up by the GM. I agree with you that she should be the one to address it and I'm sure she will - but what if the GM feels he does not need to have such a procedure in place? What if he feels he can terminate anyone without discussing it? I don't mean to sound redundant but we both were very surprised by this and wonder just what we have to look forward to.

Thanks again!

• My assumption would be that the GM was acting in good faith, and has not yet been around long enough to understand the dynamics and protocol of your office. This is all part of the learning curve. I agree with the advice given above that you should make mention of this to your boss so she can help him along, but your offer of assistance is good too.
  • The GM might not have gotten a chance to speak with either you or your supervisor. I would give him a little more time - if not agree with the posting above - speak with your supervisor and share your concerns.
  • Not knowing the politics/dynamics there and not wanting to second guess the new GM in his handling of the situation, I would not want it to come across that I was in any way interjecting myself where I was not needed. I feel that a better way to develop your presence and value is, over time, to be available and continue to roll out excellent work and be sure it gets in front of both your boss and the GM. In time, the GM either will not or WILL gain confidence in the HR group and will allow their involvement. Still, he has the prerogative of quietly and politically handling some things as he sees fit. At this point, I think I would just quietly tell myself, "He handled it as he thought best. Before long, he'll be calling on me for an HR read on these kinds of things." Anything you do otherwise at this point COULD, and I emphasize could, give the GM the feeling that he's being judged and it's being brought to his attention that there are cultural things here he needs to consider adapting to. That'll push him in the other direction. Just my opinion. Who knows which way would work best for you in this situation. Give it some thought. He brought with him to this company his notion of what HR is and should be. Discern that as time permits and convince him you're an excellent player and one to be trusted and utilized. He may surprise you.
  • Don't tell me Don D 2 WAS your evil twin.
    Whatd they put in my coffee this morning?
  • Sounds good to me!!! Think I'll have to jump on here more often--it was most helpful! Thanks!!