Internal Candidate Issue

We recently had a position open up at one of our facilities. Just to give some background, the manager there has a tendancy to do what he pleases w/o regard to policy, and his boss continually allows this to happen. Anyway, I have been frantically interviewing for this position, both internal and external candidates. This morning I was "interviewing" an internal candidate, when she informs me that the manager had already given her the job, and that her first day was Tuesday. She thought she was here to discuss her pay raise. Needless to say, I was flabergasted, espcially since after speaking with her, I determined that she was not a top candidate.

My question is, what obligation do I now have to this employee? She believes she has gotten a promotion. Can (and should) I continue to interview folks who more closely fit what we are looking for? Or do I allow this employee to remain in this new position, even though she is not the best qualified? The manager admitted he gave her the job and disregarded policy and procedure. I am concerened about my legal responsibility and the possibility of losing the employee all together.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think you need to honor the manager's selection UNLESS in making the selection he did so for a reason that could be classified as discrimination of some type.
    BUT I WOULD ALSO go above his head and complain LOUDLY about what this doofus has done and the problems it could cause in the future.
    I just don't see why the selectee should be penalized in this case; eventhough I know it must gnaw at your innards.
  • I agree with the previous poster. I would let the selection stand -- for now, unless/until she self-eliminates due to poor performance or something. The manager overstepped his authority big time and I would ensure that his boss and my boss knew that. But, unfortunately, letting her keep the position is the lesser of two evils in this case. Can you imagine the headaches you would inherit if the promotion was withdrawn and someone else was selected?
  • Does your company policy state that all offers of employment both internal and external will be made by the HR Dept? If you don't I would suggest that you incorporate one into your handbook or procedure manual. If you do have such a policy, I would think that you be covered if you did not select her.
  • I agree with the otheres and like cthr's idea..if people would follow it. Can only add that I know how you feel. This has happened more than once in my political little world. It is very frustrating.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-15-03 AT 08:48AM (CST)[/font][p]Two additional thoughts to add to the good ones already posted:

1) After the policy is written, it gives you the opportunity to have the manager written up for not following protocol.

Can understand how frustrating this can be as have seen candidates selected who wouldn't be what I considered primary selection material but then again I'm not the one they'll be working for so the manager does have final say.

2) My bet is that this manager is thought of as someone who definitely has his favorites and either doesn't care or realize the impact this has on those outside the inner circle. Would be worth mentioning to him if there's a day where he doesn't understand why someone doesn't like or respect him ....hmmmm...

Am a firm believer in what goes around comes around - someday those who favor him may be out and he'll have an opportunity to see what it's like to not be included.

Advice for the new person in the role is to work twice as hard as she thinks she'll need to as those working for her won't respect her for what she does but believe she's gotten the position solely on who she knows.
  • Some thoughts, just playing x}> advocate.
    I could not tell from your post what role the manager had in the interview process? Do you screen candidates then present them to him to interview. Is there minimum requirements for the job?
    I ask, because technical skill and knowledge are not the only determining factors in making a hiring decision. If someone is a better "fit" but has less experience but I feel they can pick up one skill or another I would hire them over a more experienced person that others may feel is more qualified or a higher/better choice.
    I also would factor in how I think we would get along. If someone clicks with me, or will fit my management style well, or has the personality needed for the position that could be as important as qualifications.
    Not that I agree with what the manager did, just would need more information before pulling out my club to beat him. x:D
    Also he may feel that she was better for some of the above but is to slow to figure out why and verbalize it......lol.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman