extreme emotional employee

We have a female employee who has been with the company for 4 years (longer than all of us here, even management). She served two roles, as a teacher and manager. As a result of her recent poor performance as a manager, she was demoted from her managerial responsibilities to just teaching. (By the way, prior to being demoted, she was put through a series of performance evaluations and agreements in order to help her maintain her managerial status, however, this did not work)

This has caused her to become emotionally distressed every other day while in the office (she practically breaks down and cries in front of everybody). This is starting to affect all employees around her. I think that at this rate, she will continue to loose her control, and may affect the overall professional and productive atmosphere this office has. Can you please tell me what actions I can take, as her boss, to help her control her emotions as a result of her recent demotion, and an alternative should your first advice not work?

Thank you.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have also had employees that have become emotional. I have required them to contact the EAP. I give the EAP a heads-up and they can expect the call. The EAP lets me know if they have called and the EAP takes it from there. This has been very helpful.
  • "EAP" is an Employee Assistance Program.
  • You need to let her know in explicit terms that her conduct is not acceptable in the workplace. You can do this in as supportive a manner as you wish...you can brainstorm with her as to possible solutions, which could include EAP (if indeed you have one) but she must understand clearly that her public breakdowns are not okay at work and if they continue could lead to disciplinary action. Have a witness at the meeting and document the event. Then be prepared to follow through with the disciplinary process if she continues the behavior.
  • I am presuming that her work performance warranted the promotion to manager. There are situations where this does not work out. Usually the individual involved knows that they are in over their head and relieved when the responsibilities are taken away. Could there be another reason for her emotional state? She may be depressed about a personal problem and it has affected her emotional balance. As recommended in prior posts, an EAP would be the place to start. If your company does not offer this program, research the different therapy clinics available in your area. Sounds like she needs an unbiased ear to point her in the right direction.

To be able to control ones emotions, one has to be in control. Doesn't sound like she can do this. Do you think she wants to walk around teary eyed all day looking for sympathy? You are in the best position to answer that.