Vendor "Perks"

I am wondering what other companies do about vendor "perks". Our management doesn't have a problem with the social activities (football games, golf outings, etc), but we're having a problem with material items. Does anyone have a dollar limit on gifts? I feel we should do away with all of it because I can see it becoming corrupt. Especially, because I know of one vendor who made the comment, "take care of me and I will take care of you". I would appreicate any help on this. :-S

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our ethics policy stipulates that no board member, volunteer or employee be able to accept gifts, favors or payment in exchange for business or reference. In the event that we are already doing business with the vendor or outside party, a limit of $25.00 is put on any gift of appreciation.
  • I've often questioned the ethics of accepting gifts from vendors, like tickets to see the Phillies, but I must say that only occurs to me when OTHER people receive the tickets. When I get tickets it's a perfectly sound practice. Strange.
  • Our policy prohibits accepting any kind of perk or gift from anyone with whom we do business (including lunches - if we dine with a vendor, we buy or go dutch). If gifts are received (as they usually are around Christmas time), all gifts are turned into Corporate and turned over to some type of charity.
  • Our policy states briefly: "Business courtesies are normal and acceptable business practices. MSCO Employee’s are allowed to accept only the kind of business courtesy that they are allowed to offer to our customers".

Because we do purchase big giveaways - our people know if we do not give it away - then they cannot accept. Lunches, T-shirts, tickets, are okay - a week long stay in a Condo on the Beach unacceptable.
  • Our limit is $50. When gifts come to the office at Christmas (like sausage/cheese - we are in Wisconsin!) it is shared by all. It is not a problem.
  • Our limit is $25. We use to make an exception for social activities until our head buyer was offered two tickets on the 45 yard line for a superbowl.
  • we don't allow any perks at any level - that way no one is put in jeopardy.!
  • If the perk is something like popcorn or candy, it goes in the break room for all employees. If it is something like a pen and pencil set, or briefcase, etc, it goes in a box. These gifts are distributed at certain functions to employees who 'win' something. The only perk employees can keep are the very inexpensive items, i.e. cheap logo pens, coasters, and note pads.

• Another note on vendor gifts, how do you handle the situations where a vendor sends a few gifts "for the staff" and there is not enough to go around? Are the gifts personal for each individual? Are they "company" property to be handed out by management.

We have situations where a pharmaceutical company will send a gift (it may only be a travel mug, pens, sticky notes, but it has also been larger items like a travel TV, USB memory, etc) to the Lead Coordinator on a research study. Sometimes it is a "welcome" gift, sometimes it is an incentive bonus (you know, a pat on the back for high volume). Most employees perceive these gifts as a personal gift and keep every gift that comes in from that company. Some share with the office. Management's opinion is that the gift was earned by all (from the one who initiated the contract negotiations, to the regulatory person who keeps the documents in order, to the coordinator who performs the actual clinical work, to the finance manager who tracks the budget income and expenses) and that all gifts should go in a common pot. This has caused a lot of dissention in the ranks to the point that some employees have gone to the owner (who doesn't want to be involved in the day to day management of his company) to complain that they did not get their box of Belgian Chocolates. Silly? Yes. But still a problem. Management has been overridden anytime someone complains about a "prize" and then all of the behind the scenes people never see a gift.

How would you handle this situation? I just find it amazing that some people can not see that there are other people involved in each of these projects and just because we may not have an ongoing direct contact, or they might not even know our name, that the pharmaceutical company intends to leave the others out from receiving any of the bonuses that are recievd. What do you think?

p.s. Yes, I am one of the behind the scenes persons who works on each and every one of these research projects. I have my hand on it from beginning to finish and probably the last one to "put it to bed" long after the clinical people have completed their part. This really isn't sour grapes xx( but there are several of us who have seem time after time being left out of rewards when I thought this was a team effort.
  • Do you have an employee break room of sorts where these items could be shared? My coordinator and I do the employee relations for the department, so we are the ones most likely to receive these type of gifts. They are shared - and shared with any employee who happens to wander through HR. When they find out we have food it's amazing how many people need a direct deposit form or some such thing! Of course, as I stated above, our limit is $25. We don't worry about the cost of a basket of goodies, but something as tangible as a tv would go back.
  • Another problem we encounter is that we have 2 locations. One location is in the hospital where the majority of patient enrollment is conducted and then we have an out-patient office where we conduct all of the administrative and follow-up visits (that can last up to 5 years). It is one of those situations where we can't seem to please even most of the people.

The other issue is the complaining that these gifts are personal and not company wide. We have tried the route of telling the employees that all gifts are community property and found that there was "running to the owner" situations that the Director decided was not worth arguing over. I guess right now we are in the situation that whoever cries the loudest gets their way and I am trying to do something about it.
  • Sounds like you may have to institute what dynamite9551 above does - no perks at all. Y'know sometimes stating, "As we appear to be unable to come to an equitable solution on this issue, from this point forward no perks will be allowed." Suddenly people feel like sharing.