Affirmative Action

Our employee handbook says we are "committed to affirmative action." My question is according to the law what does this statment require our company to do? (We clearly are an equal opportunity employer.) Should there be some action plan in place spelling out what we are doing? What are the ramifications of dropping the "affirmative action"wording and simply saying we are an "Equal Opportunity Employer"?

Any wisdom out there will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am assuming that you are not a federal contractor or subcontractor, because if you were, you would be required to have an Affirmative Action Plan. If you are not required to have an affirmative action plan, I believe that you are better off with a simple statement of your anti-discrimination policy that specifies the protected classes and your commitment to refrain from any employment actions based on those classes.
    Susan Fentin
    Associate Editor
    Massachusetts Employment Law Letter

This message is not to be construed as legal advice, nor does it create an attorney/client privilege between the parties to this communication.
  • One other note: Even if you are a Federal Contractor of Subcontractor don't you have to meet minimum requirements before you have to implement an AAP.

It is 50 employee AND over 50K annuall in contracts, correct?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-08-03 AT 02:41PM (CST)[/font][p]I second what Susan wrote. I am working on my annual AAP right now and it is not an enjoyable experience.

I think it is 50 employees and $10k in contracts.
  • Actually it's 50 or more employees and 50k or more in government contracts. source: [url]http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/ofccp/aa.htm[/url]

I agree with the other post - skip affirmative action and go with equal opportunity employer & anti-harassment policies.
  • Slightly changing the subject, I have not been able to find out through research if federal grant recipients are considered contractors/subcontractors. When I came on board, we had an aa plan, but no one can tell me why--I am about as certain as I get that the entity for which I work is not under a federal order.

rt2