Employee taking advantage

Maybe today is "just one of those days" (or maybe it's this week) but it seems like employees are really "pushing the envelope".

We have two employees (father and son) both doing the same type job on the same shift. Tomorrow the other son is getting married (doesn't work here). Both the father and son were granted permission to "flex" their schedules today (they worked 1st shift instead of 2nd) and we got someone to agree to stay for 2nd shift to do their job.

Yesterday AM the father comes to me to tell me he needs to go to a "fitting" for his tux. and wants to know if he can "flex" again (policy is only once per week). I ask him how long he figures, he says "not long". Feeling for the guy, I okay it and tell him to talk to his supervisor regarding what time he will be gone (I expect 1-2 hours AT MOST). At 12:15 yesterday the son calls to tell me he would like to come in at 1:00 (instead of 3:00) because he needs to have 8 hours inbetween shifts (he is starting at 5:00 this morning and co. policy dictates this). Because of the policy, I agree.

At 4:15 yesterday the 2nd shift supervisor advises me the father has not returned (he left at 1:00 and the tux shop is less than 5 minutes from work) and she talked to the son who informed her that the father was planning on going home to have dinner with some out of town relatives before returning to work. Father returns at 6:00 and works until 9:00.

Father comes in at 5:00 (scheduled to work until 1:00) and leaves after 4 hours thereby taking a "point" in accordance with our attendance policy. So far son is still here, though.

Don't know about the rest of you but I'm getting tired of going out of my way to help employees and then having it come back to "bite" me.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You would think your son's wedding would be important enough to take a vacation day or two. Was that an option? If you give an ince SOME PEOPLE will take a mile. It is very disheartening at time.
  • Give him the point Linda and don't feel bad. Next time, say sorry policy says we can only flex once per week. You will have to use vacation, sick etc., whatever is appropriate or you will get points under the attendance policy. The mistake we make in HR at times, which is also our strength, is going out of our way to help people. (That may not sound like it makes sense but it does :-) ) I work with people until they take advantage, then I remember, and no longer go to far out of the way.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I am interviewing for a new job and the plant manager that I spoke to had a great quote: "No good deed goes unpunished". I have heard this before, but he explained it even better. He said that he feels that you should treat all employees consistently. If you do something good for a good employee or an employee in a special situation, usually, it will come back to bite you. Boy, I've never worked with a plant manager who feels this way. I want this job bad!
  • My Executive Director uses the phrase frequently. It is often used to imply "why bother". She also knows I hate it. Sure sone people will take advantage - that is human nature. But most don't and it gets to where it sounds so pessimistic.
  • I've discussed this saying with others too. Those with positive attitudes have agreed that there is no reason to stop doing good deeds just because most go unnoticed or "un-thanked". We just accept the fact that bad deeds get more attention than good deeds do.

What comes around goes around!