Frequent Flyer Miles

Where you work, do the employees who travel for business get to keep their frequent flyer miles or do they have to give them back to the employer? Same question with hotels.

It seems that our sales and field service employees are taking advantage and they are using the more expensive flights/hotels so they can have the points.

Please let me know what your policies are. Thank you.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We get to keep our miles if we have paid for the tickets on our credit cards (even though the charge is reimbursed after the trip). If it goes on the corporate card, the boss gets the miles (he's a sole owner). I know. A little odd, but it seems to work for us.
  • I've always been able to keep points and miles. Seems petty to me to do otherwise, although I have been to company conferences where we did not get hotel points because they were negotiated away when the hotel conference package was arranged.
    For flights, a more expensive ticket does not get more points unless it's a higher class of service, so restricting folks to coach should take care of that. For hotels, it's easy to check available rates and you can discipline anyone who intentionally wastes co. money.
  • My wife's company has a travel desk that handles all the arrangements, so they look for the lowest fares, but the tickets are in her name so she can keep the points. Since the company makes reservations based on price, my wife has simply registered for points with almost every airline. It takes a little longer to build up points that way, but it does work.