Unemployment and Worker's Comp

Does anyone know if an employee can collect unemployment at the same time they are collecting Worker's Comp?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Texas may be different than PA, but in order to qualify for UC benefits you must be ABLE to work, so the answer to your question is no, but again, you should check your State law.
  • Here in WI, the employee must be able and ready to work in order to receive UI. IF they are receiving TTD payments through WC, they are obviously unable to work so they would be ineligible for UI.
  • In WA State, they can not collect both (provided it's full time loss they are seeking and full unemployment benefits).
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-04-03 AT 02:42PM (CST)[/font][p]In Pennsylvania you must be ready and able to work, which is usually the norm for all states, but once the person is recovered they can then apply for UC benefits. Also, here in PA they take into account ANY other income the recipient may be receiving to offset the amount they would be eligible for. I would check into both.
  • They cannot in MS unless they trick the system. Be aware that if your business has regular maintenance/vacation shutdowns and if your state allows the worker to draw UI during those times, like ours does, regardless of vacation pay, it is easy for a person out on comp to mosey on down to the UI office and file with the rest and slip through the system, UNLESS you carefull review the documents sent from the UI office and scrutinize the names of those filing. If you tell the UI office in a blanket memo that all of the filers are laid off, then these comp drawers can easily draw. In that case they can upgrade to a better brand of fishing worms since they are now spending a comp and a UI check on bait.
  • Here in Massachusetts, the answer is No - Cannot double dip. I have had cases, and I presently have one, of a disgruntled employee, who exhausted his FMLA time, resigned, in lieu of termination, exhausted his UC., and now 16 months later is trying for a WC claim for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. This America's a Tough Town.