Thoughts on telecommuting

I have searched the forum and found one post about a telecommuting policy (thanks to Margaret and I emailed her for it), but I was wondering about other success or failure stories.

We have the opportunity to let an employee (we are medical facility and only the financial person has this opportunity) work from home. We are trying to relocate and fit into a smaller office which would be ideal for the rest of the office. In addition to getting a policy in writing, I wanted to know how people implemented their policy, changes they would make if they were doing it over, etc. You know, asking all of you HR gurus about their experiences.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Moneyman:

We have been using telecommuting in two of our departments, and except for a little difficulty (minor) at the start-up, it has worked well for us. The majority of our telecommuters are part-time employees, with a few per diems. I have both a policy and an Employee Telecommuting Agreement, if you are interested. Send your e-mail address and I will forward both to you.
  • We've tried telecommuting in our IT department - and the results have been pretty awful - both on the employee's and their manager. I too would be interested in hearing from others regarding their experiences and what particular type of job works the best in a telecommuting environment.