Supervisor pits employees against HR

A supervisor said to one of her employees "be careful what you say to "HR" in the smoking room, you have to remember that she will go to our manager and tell him what you say". The employee responded by telling the supervisor that HR knows that the smoking room is a place to vent, and that unless she told HR that she needed help with the matter or went to HR's office, what was said was off the record in the smoking room. Apparently, this supervisor has told her other hourly employees the same.

Do you think that this supervisor should be reprimanded?

Thanks,
njm

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I do not know that I would formally reprimand the supervisor, but I would most definitely call them in for a chat. Would try to get at the root of their discontent and put them on notice that their comments are neither appropriate nor appreciated.
  • I see you are new to the Forum. Welcome aboard, you will have a blast. I recommend that you post this question on another forum call Employment and HR, you will receive many more responses.
    In answer to your question, I agree with Sonny. I think the time has come to have a heart to heart with the supervisor. Perhaps he/she has been burned before and now is intimidated by HR.
  • I agree with the others. A reprimand might be a bit strong. The conversation that you have with the supervisor might include describing your role - sometimes a safety valve where employees can go in confidence and that this role provides on opportunity for the employee to vent and its a whole bunch better than the employee going outside the organization. You can tell the supervisor that he/she can come to talk to you at any time as well.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-04-03 AT 07:25AM (CST)[/font][p]The others are right. Hold and document the conversation with this supervisor and remind him that this kind of talk is not only unprofessional, but it undermines the role and efforts of HR. It happens here, too - we're viewed as policy nazis a lot of the time, and our adherence to policy is perceived as anal retention and an inconvenience. Nip this in the bud and let the supervisor know that future comments like this will be subject to your disciplinary policy. Good luck!
  • On the other hand, if you were to reprimand this supervisor, in their eyes you would prove them to be right - you can't trust HR.
  • I personally, would not get caught up in this melodrama. If you pull the supervisor in, she'll deny everything and want you to name names. Once the employee - who ratted the supervisor out about the conversation - gets back on the good side of the supervisor, it could turn against you too. Just don't do it. The only thing that's hurting right now is probably ego - no laws/rules/policies. Instead look at this as valuable feedback regarding HR's perceived role in the organization and go about trying to modify/change that perception.
  • Yes, maybe it is a bit of an "ego" problem on my part. I did have the supervisor's manager speak to her and she did not deny a thing. She
    feels that because HR knows about her departements moral issues before
    she does is not right. She also feels that when performance review time comes around for one of her eight employees, that HR knows to much about the way her employees feel and she resents this.

Although I admit it's somewhat of an "ego" problem that it is also somewhat of an ethical problem with a supervisor going against HR instead of supporting it.

• Maybe the ego problem is not yours but the supervisor's. Sounds that way from your last post. It could be time to explain to this supervisor that you are doing what is required in the job of Human Resources, listening to our employees.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-04-03 AT 03:38PM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-04-03 AT 03:38 PM (CST)[/font]

tried to delete my latest posting to this thread ...
  • No, I didn't want to delete your latest message to me.........I'm new to this forum, and am loving it. I most appreciate all of the opinions, help, etc. from all of you. Thanks.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-04-03 AT 05:50PM (CST)[/font][p]x:-)

Actually, I sent a reply to your last response and that's the one I was trying to delete. You know, I'm not sure that there is an ethical issue involved here - maybe more of a respect issue. Since her supervisor did speak with her and mentioned the conversation - I would probably meet with the person and talk with her - in an informal manner - about her issues and concerns with HR. I would be objective and see if there are some things that you guys can agree on going forward. Just my thoughts...
  • Would agree with several of the last postings - sounds like some insecurity on the part of the supervisor regarding her relationship with members of the team. In the meeting with her, you may want to raise the question of "what can you do to have your teammates go directly to you instead of to HR?"

It's not enjoyable being caught in the middle as we can often find ourselves since the truth typically lies somewhere in between both parties.

She may need help in learning how to communicate with her team and receiving feedback which typically boils down to matters of trust, keeping confidences and does the person do what they say they're going to do.