No respect for Assigned Parking

I am new to Human Resources and have been at my new job, a car dealership, for 4 months.I am having trouble getting people to listen to me seriously. I was the receptionist for 2 years before finally getting into this office. I think people are used to me being just one of the guys. But now I need to gain respect without losing confidence. I should say for the most part, the employees think I'm looking out for them at a differnt level, which is true, but when it comes to asking them to get out of another employees parking space , I get the sluff-off. I'm just not taken seriously, I need PULL!! For instance, now a small big problem is parking...surprise, surprise. Asking them to move is not working. Does anyone have a plan or system that seems to work. One other thing I should mention is that some of the problem is our own depts parking inventory or repair work in employee parking. I've sent out memo's, and have made all managers aware of the problem, but how do I follow up with consequences. Please if anyone can help, I would sooo appreciative!!

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you have a wrecker service at your car dealership, you might just have the tow truck come by and haul them out of the parking space. Hiding their car in the back lot and then having them wonder what happened to it just might make an impression on them. This may be too mean...but it sure would work!

("Jeeze Jim, I don't know what happened to your car. Where did your last leave it?")
  • Rockie,
    That is not to mean, it sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Would also send a message.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • No, we do not have a towing service. We would have to pay for someone to come in. Parking first come first serve does not work here. It's been tried before with no success.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-31-03 AT 02:35PM (CST)[/font][p]It does not solve the problem of them not supporting you, but why have assigned spots? First come, first served. .am also curious, has this been an ongoing problem or something new since you took over?
  • I'm with Rockie - tow them off. You will have very unhappy employees - but that is part of the job sometimes. It will only take one or two being towed. Good Luck
  • Sonny raises a good point (well maybe a couple of good points). I was wondering does each employee have their own assigned parking spots or is the parking designated for visitors, employees, service dept, etc. and people are to park anywhere within an assigned section?

When we moved to our new facility we had a huge parking lot with a section labeled for visitors another section for managers and the rest open parking. There were not enough spots in the management section for all the supervisors and managers, so some of the senior people would park in visitor spots. The company president declared the visitor spots off limits to all employees and everyone listened.

Maybe you just need a little support from someone higher up. Then in time, people will begin to realize you are not operating in a vacuum and when you give direction, you have higher level support and they will begin to listen to you. Just a thought.
  • First of all, Welcome to the best forum on the net. (James and Annie you can send the check to....) You mentioned sending memos to managers in your post. Why can't they take on the babysitting of their reports and allow you to concentrate on your job, HR? I'm sure you certainly have more important ways to spend your time. Also, the problem I can visualize with towing cars, what if Sally Jo gets her car towed and then Jimmy Jo parks in the same place the next day and he doesn't get towed? What a can of worms could be opened and that would just take more of your valuable time.
  • I wish I could make it Managements problem, but unfortunately I'm dealing with upper mgmt. that doesn't think its a problem. The employees unfortunately, need help with the situation, and they think that I'm it. But without upper mgmt's cooperation or the employees (who is causing the problem), how can I? Arrrgghhh!! This is a very special profession is it not. I heard they give discounts on Prozac for HR at all participating pharmacies! LOL!!
  • Sometimes Bud Light and or Jack Daniels works well too!!!!!
  • HUNTERCHEV: EMPLOYEE RELATIONS IS CERTAINLY AN HR AREA OF INTEREST; I too once had parking under my hat, and I convienced the President and the Vice President fo Admin, and the Vice President for Merchandising, and the vice-president for finance that they and visitors were the only employees & people to be granted assigned parking. They agreed and the President signed the MEMO so announcing the plan. Afterwhich, the issues around parking were pushed back to the three vice-presidents for resolution. Issues resolved and I have never again agreed to take on responsibility for parking. OINK< OINK< OINK< PORK
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-31-03 AT 06:05PM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-31-03 AT 06:04 PM (CST)[/font]

Do you have a facility manager - you know - someone responsible for the look of the place, maintenance, etc. In my org., I pushed this issue off to that person - after all, it's their parking lot, x}>

Frankly, if management doesn't think it's important, it probably won't change. If you really feel as though the employees have valid concerns and you're worried about their reactions to no-action, you need to present the case to management - as an employee issue - and see what they decided and then let the employees know. Don't get too far into this area though - meaning, don't take the decision or lack thereof personally - remain professional and objective. Consistent objectivity - provided with time in and good decision making skills (picking your battles) is how you will gain the respect your after from employees and mangement alike. Welcome to HR x;-)
  • I'd put out a memo that says when you park in someone else's parking place, you will receive a call telling you that you've parked in someone else's assigned space and your license number will be recorded. You will be given the courtesy of being notified to move you car at that time. If your car has not been moved within 15 minutes of being notified, your car will be towed to ABC towing lot and it will cost you $X to get it out. If you park a second time in someone else's assigned space, your car will be towed automatically. You only have to tow one car before everyone else quits doing it.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • That's a great idea. Seems like"Tow-em" is the solution. I just hope your right about only one car. I think though I'll give a little more time than 15 min. With mechanics and sales people on staff, it's sometimes hard to pull away in that amount of time. Thanks!!
  • At my last job, I had regular "abusers" of the parking rules. Employees just didn't see the importance of leaving the designated spots open for our hotel guests. Employees were allowed to park anywhere they wanted except for certain sections.

Of all the rules to break, this was the least serious as far as I was concerned. (Your situation may be different) I wasn't willing to eventually terminate someone if they were written up repeatedly for this offense, so instead, I created parking "tickets" and placed them under windshield wipers. Other managers got in on the game and did it with me. As soon as a car was ticketed, I had the appropriate supervisor hunt the employee down and make them move the car.

It really was a neverending battle but at least it was a somewhat enjoyable one.

By the way, our general manager felt she was exempt from the rule. My chief engineer found a stock of logo'd refrigerator magnets and covered the passenger side of her car with them while she was parked "illegally". She didn't notice until she got home that night.

AND, the ONE TIME I parked illegally, I found my car decorated with a long string of those plastic flags on a rope people use to draw attention to their buildings.

The upside was, people for the most part saw me as not an "HR nitpicker" but someone with a sense of humor who only made a big deal of things that needed to become a big deal.
  • At our facility, it is first come, first served. The only parking spots that are sacred are the ones marked Visitor or Car Pool. Why didn't it work for you? How can someone complain about a parking spot if none are assigned?
  • That's what I was trying to get at Rita.. I don't think I am fully understanding the problem.
  • It's a problem because I have very spoiled employees. No really, it's because we have a very large facility with open parking around the perimeter(to explain it simply). What happens is... our service, body shop, etc. vehicles get parked in all the "good" spots, which leaves employees scattered around the dealership. It is the reason we went to assigned parking to start with. I think the ticket and tow'em policy will be the one I implement, that is if I can get uppper management to agree. Thanks agian for all your imput!!! This is a great tool.
  • I think sometimes we create way to much work to solve a simple problem. It sounds like the real issue is parking non employee cars in employee parking spots. Deal with that by writing up the people doing it. If you can't figure out who is doing it, write up the supervisor and I'll bet they will figure out who's doing it quick. Don't write up without warning. Then let people park at will. First come first serve and deal with it. Without that you have to assign parking spaces, what if they are out on leave, does someone else get it?Does senority rule, job title? Then you have to send out a memo about towing. Then you have to find someone to tow, then you have to check who's parking where. Then you have to call the tow truck. What if they move the car before the tow truck comes? They will still bill you I'm sure. Does the upper mgmt want to pay you all that money to chase cars around. I think they would rather you do something more productive.

As for the "pull" issue, that comes with time. As you handle situations well, you will earn that respect. Welcome to the Forum and to HR. What a long strange trip it will be.
  • I like HRQ's idea. It gets the point across without causing hard feelings like having the car towed away would, and is probably much less expensive. Do you have an employee bulletin board? You could make a big sign and put the names of people who are parking in the wrong spot. You would have to make it fun rather than offensive, but some heckling from fellow workers would probably help get the point across too.

Good luck!