Recruiting

I am the HR Manager of a small not-for-profit agency. For recruiting, I usually just do newspaper ads due to budget constraints. Lately, I am just not getting the candidates, and the few I receive just are not quality. Does anyone have any ideas on cost effective ways I can recruit quality employees? We are in the mental-health care field, providing group homes to mentally challenged adults

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nicole

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-31-03 AT 09:47AM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-31-03 AT 09:46 AM (CST)[/font]

Do you have a web page or local government channel on TV? I get such good response from those 2 that I rarely use the paper anymore. Also, maybe your local Mental Health Association has a newsletter..Finally, try some of the local college placement offices. . all of these should be free.
  • Also would try the local Chamber of Commerce, attend job fairs and perhaps hold your own on-site job fair.
  • I find that certain online job posting forums are as cost effective (if not more) than newspapers. There is even one that is geared toward healthcare (hirehealth) I believe. I've worked with their tech division (hiretech) and found them to be a great resource. They also have job fairs as well. You may also want to check with your state to see if they have any state run agencies that help those out of work. Usually it's free to employers, you just request to see those resumes for the job you need and sometimes you can even post them.

Good Luck
  • Been there, you might want to check your reputation and turnover issues which drive your need for recruiting. I was previously in a Community Counselling non-profit and we likewise could not get good quality experienced personnel. No one with any sense would come to us for a long-term marriage, our pay was low and our turnover was out of site. No one except someone out of work would come for the compensation packages except the "intern" who just graduated and needed the security of continuing what she/he already knew and could do.

In every HR position I have experienced this concern, until our compensation program/plan was adequate and our reputation for being a long-term relationship company was solidified. The previouse owner and founder died, he believed in turnover 100% every 5 years TOP TO BOTTOM; upon his death, we set out to change our reputation and compensation plan. We moved 50% of the potential income for any postition into a BONUS PROGRAMS, when you produce you got the a portion of the potential annual bonus award, immediately. Anyone not moving and shaking the trails for production was encouraged to leave; those that stayed and produced they earned big bucks. The potential to double one's income is a great comer!

Good Luck, PORK
  • I also work in the non-profit mental health field. We have had a lot of luck with college recruiting. Many of our employees who came to us through college job fairs and on-campus interviews have told their schoolmates about us, so it has been sort of a double bonus.
  • You may want to try Ohio JobNet Online. It's offered through the state's Department of Job and Family Services Department. Their website is:
    [url]http://www.state.oh.us/odjfs/[/url]

Good luck! The unemployment rate in my county is nearing 10% but still the qualified applicants remain elusive.
  • Thank you to everyone! I really appreciated all the suggestions, and will definitly be trying them out!
  • I also work for a not-for-profit organization and we have had tremendous success with hotjobs.com.
  • Our state is divided into regional mental health districts. There are regional offices which recruit for themselves and also help non-profits and for profit places like yours recruit. Also the county welfare departments that actually refer residents help in the recuitment of qualified workers. College placement offices is a great source for people with majors in direct care occupations such as counseling, physical therapy, physical education. Public school districts may also be of help referring their retired teachers or others who might want part time work. These are, as you know, very challenging work assignments and the employees who are successful and dedicated to what they do are diamonds. Good wages don't hurt either - and that gets the word out.