alien status

I have an employee whos resident status # has expired. However, he has married a citizen of the US. What do I have to do for my records to update his I9? Is there a form he gets from the gov which indicates a change in residency? I have always heard that if an alien marrys a citizen he/she becomes one. Does this apply?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-29-03 AT 05:34PM (CST)[/font][p]The ee should be able to provide you with either an updated card or a form from the INS stating that they are processing his new status. I wouldn't change his status or update anything until I received one of those. Just my thoughts.

Also, what was it that expired? Was he a temporary alien or a resident alien? If he was a perminent resident alien and his card expired, then you don't need to do anything. If he was a temp alien then you need to update the info.
  • When an alien marries a citizen, s/he will be issued an employment authorization card. S/he will become a Permanent Resident, however this process takes time but s/he should be able to furnish you with the employment authorization card.