two employers-one location

We have a second shift production employee who would like to be employed by the security company we utilize to patrol our building. This employee would like to work his shift for us, then work until the next morning as a security guard at our facility through the security company. In otherwords, he would be employed by two different companies working at one facility. Does anyone foresee any problems with this? One concern is workers' compensation but my observation is the employee would be covered under our WC while working for us, and the security company's WC while he is acting as a security guard in our facility. I don't anticipate any problems with this but would like to throw it out for a second (or third, or fourth) opinion. Thanks.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You should be fine - two owners is different work comp, no OT.

We only had problems when employees worked full-time for one entity under our owners, then part time at a different entity owned by the same folks. So ours was different EINs, different buildings, same owners. FLSA said we had to pay OT, so the employees had to choose between jobs.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-28-03 AT 02:33PM (CST)[/font][p]No problem from a legal standpoint, and I guess it's better than driving an hour between the two jobs, but two full time jobs would cause me some concern from a WC standpoint. Does this guy operate equipment? I know, I know, lots of people work two jobs.
    I also might have some concerns from a security standpoint. Better to keep some distance between your employees and the security people.
  • I too find that there is an ethical issue of having your employee also be a security guard at the facility where he works. If he wants to work for the security company, you may need to say that he should work at another location. Just imagine the scenarios and it seems like it would be a nightmare...Would he have keys for the building as a security guard?? Would he have access to things an employee wouldn't have?? ETC.