Reference letters

I'm just curious how others handle requests for reference letters from current employees. I had an employee call me this morning to ask for a letter of reference. Maybe it's not a big deal but I feel funny writing a reference letter for someone currently working for us. I understand employees look for other jobs but I feel...well I'm not sure how I feel.

What are your thoughts? Maybe it's no different than when a company calls or mails reference checks on current employees. And I guess if a person really wants to leave, they will whether we provide references or not. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Here's our policy - I've inserted 'company name' in place of our organization's name:

Reference Checks and Verification of Employment

All inquiries regarding a current or former Company Name employee must be referred to the Human Resources Manager. No Company Name employee may issue a reference letter for any current or former employee without the permission of the Human Resources Manager.

If we are asked to provide a reference for you, we will limit it to position(s) held and dates of employment. We will not release any other information concerning your employment with us unless the request is in writing and is authorized by you.