Handbook Re-print

We are currently having our handbook re-printed and there have been a few changes and additions. We have included the "Legal" disclaimers about supersedes all prior - reserve the right to change etc. If any of you have been through a similiar process recently, how did you handle EE acknowledgement of receipt of new handbook and notification of changes? I have recommended having each EE sign a new receipt but am receiving some opposition. The other opinion is that we should only post the Section No. of where the changes are and it is the EE's responsibility to read them. Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom!!!!!!

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We always have them sign a handbook receipt. That way there is no confusion about "well I didn't know that" etc. Good luck.
  • My opinion is to have them sign an acknowledgement. I would distribute the handbook and then depanding on the size of the handbook give them 1-2 weeks to read it, then begin collecting the acknowledgements. In the perfect world the acknowledgement statement should contain 'I acknowledge that I am expected to read, understand, and adhere to XXXXX policies and will familiarize myself with the material in the handbook. Any questions about information contained in this handbook should be forwarded to the Human Resources department'. If they refuse, then have a witness statement I complete. Let me know if you would like me to send you a copy.
  • Please email me or fax me a copy of your "sign off sheet". I am in the throws of eventually getting our hand book redone and it covers 8 states, one is CA, and I am gathering any info I can get.
    Thanks, [email]ewarthen@newcombspring.com[/email] 770-981-3345 fax

E Wart
  • Could I ask that you send e a copy of the sign-off sheet, please?
    My FAX is 909-694-3411
  • We just re-printed our handbooks and we did have each employee sign a new acknowledgment form. If you would like a copy of the form just let me know.
  • I just re-did our handbook and required that each employee come to my office to get the new book and sign a receipt that it was received. There is also the acknowledgement that they read and understood its contents which they must also return within two weeks of receipt of the handbook. I have a list of all the staff and check them off when the acknowledgement comes back. If they are late, I remind them and their supervisor.
  • I will be doing this soon. My current handbook acknowledgement for states that the employee has recieved the hand book and is "responsible" for reading it.

I guess when we did this last time we just figured that would be good enough. Do we have to give ee's a time frame to read it and then get the acknowledgement?
  • We recently updated our handbook. We gave each manager the number they needed for their employees and made them responsible for returning the acknowledgement. Ours states that the employee is responsible for reading the book. We don't give them a time frame.
  • Our acknowledgment form reads: I have read and I understand its contents. I acknowledge that it is my responsibility to ask questions about anything I do not understand. and so on....

If you would like a copy of it, just let me know.
  • Thanks for re-enforcing my opinion and giving me some ammo to present. We do have all the obligatory verbage on our acknowledgement page but some of our management staff don't think it is a big deal to get the EEs to sign another one.

Again, thanks!!!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-23-03 AT 04:27PM (CST)[/font][p]Popeye (another Don from another Madison): I agree that it is unwise not to have the employees sign an acknowledgement. I like the acknowledgement mentioned by HR in CA which states the ee received the hbook and understands it is his/her obligation to read and become familiar with it's contents. You can get a lot of 'balks' if you try to require them to sign right away saying they've received, read and understand the policy (immediately). I don't know if you're union, but they really enjoy refusing to sign for things like this. In such case simply have a supervisor sign indicating they were given the book and refused to sign the acknowledgement.

I would think an acknowledgement covering just specific handbook revisions of various items and sections could be very confusing at such time as that document becomes important - IN A HEARING. And if confuses the hearing officer, you lose.

Such signatures are typically very valuable in unemployment (and other) hearings when we hear claims of "I never got or saw that policy".
  • I attended a Personnel Law seminar not too long ago and the issue of acknowledgments was discussed at length. The attorney who facilitated this discussion suggested that, in addition to providing an acknowledgement that the employee is required to sign, HR have meetings with the employees to go over the policies. He also suggested having a "checklist" that the employee is required to sign after having gone through the various policies. I thought it was a little "overboard" but he told us about several cases he had seen wherein employees' defense was that they either didn't read the book or didn't understand the policy.

Any thoughts?
  • If there are a lot of changes, we re-issue the complete handbook. If there are only a few changes. We attach the changes to an acknowledgment form and have them sign an acknowledgment that they have received the changes. That way we have proof that they did receive the changes to the handbook. Now, whether they read them or not that is another question :-)

Valentine
  • Whether there are a lot of changes or only a few, we still reissue the handbook annually to all employees and require a signed acknowledgment of receipt and responsibility for reading and understanding.

Even when there are only a few changes, it is a great refresher for the employees to get the whole thing. I encourage our site directors to advise the team members to reread the whole thing (not just the changes) so they don't "forget" where the line is drawn, as well as remind them of the many wonderful benefits of working for our company.