Giving An EE A Ride

Today a new ee who recently relocated here to come work for us asked me to give him a ride to his car dealers because his car broke down on his way to work this morning. He really doesn't know anyone yet. My gut instinct is to give the guy a ride but I do not want to start a trend. Also if something were to happen should I be concerned about acting as an agent of the company?

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don't give him a ride, but you had darn well better send him a card!
  • I would give him a ride to the car dealership if it were on my way, or rather not too far OUT of my way to do so. I can't imagine that it would set a trend or obligate the company in any way since you are not doing it in the course of business or while on business between facilities, unless you take him in the company pickup, for example. It's like loaning him your jumper cables or taking him by the chamber of commerce to pick up literature on houses available in the community. How would you refuse his request if you chose to?
  • I think this is one of the cases where you can overthink. The guy is new in town and has a problem. Why not just help him out? To my mind, this one has no ramifications.

• I don't see anything wrong with giving an employee a ride if it is convenient for you to do so (on your way home, etc).
  • Thanks everyone. I gave him the ride. He was very thankful. It was only 5 minutes out of my way.
  • I agree with the others, give him a ride.
  • I am sooooo glad you gave the poor guy a ride. There's nothing worse than having car trouble, a new job and to not have any friends.I was feeling pretty sorry for him....
  • Scott: I reread this one and thought about it some more. For many years when interviewing people, especially when bringing people into the company(ies) from other locations, I have considered myself their go-to-guy or point-person in the whole process and I know I have often (if not always) told them early on to come to me for help or count on me to make their transition smooth. It not only involves their not calling and dealing with multiple people while they are trying to get themselves hired, but it extends much further. I suppose I think they looked to (and at) me as the go-to-guy, maybe the contact point and the one person they should come to for incidentals, not specifically job related. I hope we all assume that sort of role or posture in the overall hiring process. The process, according to my thoughts, cannot and DOES NOT end when we finish building the new employee file. Part of my job satisfaction has always come from knowing I could be counted on after the file is built and often for some months following. That may be recommending apartments, telling them where car dealerships are, suggesting shopping centers and schools, calling around to get them pamphlets on the arts or civic activities, loaning them jumper cables, giving them a ride to pick up their vehicle or telling them where the coldest beer in town is. These are the types of things that remain in their memory (and their family's memory - "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy") for years and make them recall how helpful we were and integral we were in their initial satisfaction in the new job. This ties in with your other post about the "Cling-on Syndrome". I think the same applies to that, to a point.
  • Don, I couldn't agree more. In my position, (Employee Relations Manager) I have done everything from assisting an employee navigate the INS to getting the family cat out of a tree (the last one's made up, but you guys get the point). Far from being a burden, these activities go a long way to keeping me balanced because the only other time I see employees is at discipline or grievance meetings. It's kind of nice not to be seen as the Grim Reaper all the time.
  • What the heck...you have control of his salary, take a couple of bucks out for gas if it makes you feel better! (Just kidding)!!!!!! Give the guy a ride!
  • I'm sitting here reading these posts and one thought keeps popping up. Are our neophyte members becoming paralized with uncertanty and doubt because of the litigious society we are living in? Can we/should we send a get well card? Can I/should I drive this new employee to the car dealership? I admit, that we have become accustomed to dotting the i's and crossing the t's, but come on folks! What happened to common sense? compassion? friendliness? sympathy? helping hand? Need I go on? You have to have heart.
  • I can't agree with you more...when I first read this I thought "Oh my gosh... what is this world coming to??? When we have to "wonder" if it's ok to give someone a ride to pick up their car? Wow.... boggles my mind....
  • I think you and Don and some others have it "right on". Too many people are apparently paralyzed by the HR boogymen (maybe there are boogywomen too, but I don't think so).

1. Precedent. "If I do it now, I will be bound forever more." Horsepucky, at least as regards issues of non-discriminatory human compassion.

2. Risk. "I/we/they might get sued." Yes, you might. Indeed, if you stay in this profession long enough, you will. Guarenteed. So think about where you create risk, how much, and whether or not it might be worth it. Sometimes it is. And you can avoid it entirely only by moving to a deserted island.

On the question of giving rides, I am reminded of my very first job interview as an honest-to-god (junior) professional. I was flying into Elkhart, IN late on Sunday night. To my amasement and immense relief, the recruiter was in the terminal (such as it was) with his wife. Said they had been out at a movie and decided to swing by and make sure I got to my hotel. If the rest of the job had been anything like that recruiter, I would be a happy Hoosier today.

Now, I do need to add that I no longer give folks rides home from company events when they have had a little too much to drink. Has nothing to do with legal risk, though. After one round of cleaning out the back seat I made sure the company stocked up on taxi chits.

Warm regards,

Steve McElfresh, PhD
    Principal
    HR Futures

• I think the initial question was "do I give him a ride?", but the whole meaning behind it was "will I set a precedent? where do I draw the line?"

We have supervisors here who leave the building to drive 15 minutes one way to pick up a guy who called because his ride didn't show up. The shift is without a supervisor, until the super returns. Unbelievable to me, but the owners of the company started it, believe it or not, and where does it end!??

It makes me nuts!

We have guys who walk home because they don't have a driver's license. The other day it was raining and I was driving out of the parking lot at the same time they were leaving and I didn't stop and offer a ride. You guys are making me feel bad! Stop it!
  • You should feel terrible about that! Just think; they were still stumbling, coldly, with holes in their shoes, through large mud puddles while you were barefooted in your warm kitchen, preparing a nice hot meal with a cold drink on the counter. When they rounded the corner with cold drizzling rain driving into their faces, you were stroking your cat, sorting the daily mail and smelling the fragrances wafting from the oven. One of the people you passed in the rain was probably 7 months pregnant and watched as you rounded the corner, splashing water from your tires on the group. Were you surprised the next morning when one of them did not show up because of a fever and chills? Need I go on? Can you sleep tonite? Is it raining there this afternoon? Please consider walking home today and give THEM your keys. Let us hear from you. x:-)

• You forgot to mention the fact that I aimed for that puddle to see just how much I could splash the employee AND the fact that I waved as I was driving by, smiling.

Thank you for your support. That's why I "tune in" to the forum each day.