Employee Breaks

In our organization we run straight 8 hour shifts. During a regular shift employees are given one 7 minute break and one 15 minute break, all paid by the company. If they work more than 8 hours they are given another 7 minute break. Employees are also given the freedom to go to the breakroom during the day to get soda, coffee, etc..

The problem we are having is employees taking "extra" breaks. Instead of a seven minute break, it turns into 15-20 minutes from the time they leave their workstation until they return. For the longer break it sometimes turns into 30 minutes before they return to their workstation. Obviously this is frustrating management since jobs aren't getting done on time and production time is being lost.

I have asked the supervisors to talk to their employees but the response they get is, "so and so can do it, why can't I?". In speaking the the manufacturing director yesterday he suggested having someone from management actually sit in the breakroom and make sure employees are returning to work on time. This means that approximately 1-2 hours of their day is spent babysitting.

I'm looking for other alternatives and hoping you guys can provide some suggestions. I want to make sure ALL employees are treated the same and the rules are enforced across the board or we are going to have issues with our union.

What do some of you do to ensure employees are working when they are supposed to be?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am not saying this is the answer but in a meat plant I worked in one supervisor was having an identical problem. In this case the entire line went on break at the same time. He hit the stop watch when they went on break, and hit it and looked at it when they came back. This was after trying to address the issue in other ways. He then told them next time they came back late, it was 1/2 point on the attendance program per the policy. Late was 1/2 point, did not matter if into work back from lunch or break. I think he only had to hit one crew with 1/2 point each and they got the message.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Put up a notice that you are going to enforce break periods regardless of what's happened in the past. That will get you past the 'she gets away with it' response and most union problems. Then make your supervisors responsible for enforcement. (Tell them first what you're going to do, of course) I'm assuming that you cannot put eveyone on break at the same time as suggested. That's easier to enforce.
  • We have this same issue, especially with one department who has a high percentage of smokers. They leave enmasse to take smoke breaks. One day half of their staff was in a meeting and the other staff went "on break" which left the department unmanned.

We have tried everything...being nice...coercion...threats. Nothing seems to be working. Our management is strongly considering mandating that employees clock in and out for breaks to see how many are being taken in the course of a day. This, of course, is still paid time, but if employees know this is being tracked and it can be documented for disciplinary procedures, they may pay more attention to it. Don't know if this will even make a difference, but it's worth a try.