HR Bonus Programs

Does anyone out there have any good suggestions for a bonus or incentive program that fits an HR Manager? Other managers here have bonus programs built on some very quantifiable parameters, like in the production and purchasing areas. The owners here would like to set up one for me, the HR Manager, and have asked me to help design one that uniquely fits the HR profession. Any good experiences or ideas? Thanks!!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • All of our Sr. Management Team has a bonus incentive whereby we can receive up to 10% of our salary as a bonus. This is based on how well the organization does as a whole, plus if we meet our established goals. I set goals every year such as lowering turnover rate, reducing expenses, programs that need to be developed, etc. If I meet these goals, these things go into the bonus consideration. Each of the management team evaluates each other and turns this feedback into the CEO. The CEO is also included in the feedback.

Hope this helps.
  • MY current BONUS program is purely subjective. For two years I have been the highest bonus award recepient. I make sure the GM and President are aware of every successful defense of personnel actions from EEOC to UN-Employment hearings, to properly handled and documented negative personnel actions. I make sure they are aware of the personal leadership courses that I instruct and have them speak as guest speakers. To the cost of OSHA injuries from one year to the next, to handling every vehicle wreck as the safety manager and risk manager. Just about every legal issue is run by me for my input and guidance.
    Lowering you W/c rate or actual $0llar cost.
    turnover is one but I am not held accountable for the actions of others, I just make sure it is done right; or after the fact, I make the manager eat the action on appeal, because, we did it wrong and it will not stand up in court.
    cost of medical plan from one year to the next; it takes some stufy but you can have a definate impact here and some real savings, when you are in conrol. I once saved the company $250,000.00 by going self insured and controlling the medical charges not previously caught and paid. We came up with a buy back of receipts for claims not processed at the end of the medical year becaused the employee and or family would not have otherwised met their deductable. We paid 50 cents to the dollar for claims not processed below $300.00 (our deductable). The employees love it because at least they would get something for their money spent on minor medical and we did not have to waste our time and efforts on the processing of a claim that was not going to matter anyway. Except it was going to cost us to process the claim each and everytime it came in. By going bulk "buy back" it was a simple process to group the minor claims per benefit member, and total the cost, divide by 2 and pay the amount which was already budgetted. Additionally, I came up with a stop smoking campaign; a loan program to help employees stop smoking. The ee got $200.00 and did not have to pay it back if he/she stopped smoking for one year. For those that stopped their health improved and their overall cost for medical went down, which cost the plan less and all employees less in premium cost.

Good Luck Pork
  • Pork,
    I am impressed. You have obviously worked hard and smart and deserved the biggest bonus!!!
  • My plan is split into two components:

I have a pre-set bonus pool amount.

- I am paid 50% of the pool if the company reaches 95% of budgeted profit.
    - I receive the remaining 50% if (when) I achieve preset goals: I came up with the goals, then had them approved by my boss. Goals included reducing turnover, creating systems not already in existence or "clean up" an existing systems, such as progressive discipline, interview process, benefits process, etc.

This is the first year on this plan, we didn't have an HR bonus plan prior.

Pork's post really intrigues me. In my past I wasn't involved in the decision making process for benefits, for example. I am quickly learning how much our company can to do to affect our rates, besides just letting our broker handle the negotiating!
  • I receive 10% of my salary for reaching goals and objectives. They allow me to set my own goals and objectives. We have a review at the end of the year stating G&O for the coming year.
  • Thanks for all your help, folks. I appreciate it.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-22-03 AT 07:25PM (CST)[/font][p]Pork's my hero :-)

Our entire management team receives 10% of their annual provided the company meets projected profit goals. This ecumenical approach helps us realize that as managers, we are either in it together, or we are just not doing our part. I LOVE my bonus!!! x;-)
  • Our entire company can get up to a 10% of annaul salary bonus. This is based on 15 company wide goals. Each goal is weighted and divided up by department. For example, the goal is get some new software up and running, HR's part is insuring that we have enough manpower to insure the timeliness of the goal (this would include reducing turn over).