Training Reimbursement Upon Term

I am the HR Manager for a small health and safety consulting company, and every time we hire a new employee we have to invest approximately $2000-3000 in required training. Occasionally we have that new ee that comes on board, gets the training, and then promptly moves on to a bigger company - more pay? because they now have specific training certs that make them more marketable. I am talking less than a year with my company.

My request - does anyone out there have written policy they are willing to share that can pre-empt this and assure that we will be repaid for the training, if, in fact, they voluntarily leave our employ within a certain time period? One year - two years? What's reasonable?

What about the tenured employee (2+ years) who goes back for recertification training each year, then promptly terms as soon as their training is completed and paid for by my company?

We don't want to be jerks - we just don't want to continue paying for training for which we receive no benefit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Depending on the cost of the training, we have employees sign an agreement. It has never been as much as yours, and I would definitly utilize one in that situation. Ours states that if an employee leaves within 3 months they repay all of it, 3-6 months they repay 75% of it, 6-9 months they repay 50%, 9 months to a year they repay 25% and if over one year they don't have to repay any of it. Hope that helps.
  • >Depending on the cost of the training, we have employees sign an
    >agreement. It has never been as much as yours, and I would definitly
    >utilize one in that situation. Ours states that if an employee leaves
    >within 3 months they repay all of it, 3-6 months they repay 75% of it,
    >6-9 months they repay 50%, 9 months to a year they repay 25% and if
    >over one year they don't have to repay any of it. Hope that helps.

blw - just curious. How successful have you been collecting the reimbursement from an EE that leaves? We have a very extensive training program as well but always consider the cost as a price for doing business. I have always thought that if someone left us in a short period of time that I must not have done a very good job in my interviewing process.

• We haven't had to. We have only had 3 employees sign agreements and all have stayed beyond the year. We have alot of training in the summer that a large number of employees attend, but we absorb that cost. We do lose some after training before we benefit from it, but technically the only thing we are out is their wages which are entry level. We aren't out the cost of training since many other employees attended and are working. We have only used the agreement when we paid for training for one specific employee. Barbara