Proper ID for I-9 form

Is a workers permit from school considered a proper form of ID for an I-9 form? I don't think it is, but one of the department managers says that it is. Just looking for feedback.

P.S. first time posting.....gotta say thanks for this group....thanks for the smiles when the are desperately needed :)

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No, this is not a valid ID for an I-9. All of the acceptable documents are listed on the back of the I-9 form.
  • I agree. Maybe the applicant can get an ID from the DMV to satisfy List B, then give you a SS card for List C. That ought to cover you.
  • Actually if you look on the back it says for under 18 who don't have one of the ID listed, you can accept a school record. I believe that a work permit issued by the school would qualify.
  • I've got one for you guys. We hire summer student interns every year. This year we had a student start and for his I-9 he showed us a NY State drivers license and SS card. Yesterday he comes to my office to let me know his work visa had expired two weeks ago. I asked him what work visa? He marked that he was a US citizen on the I-9 form. Turns out he was married and is now diviorced so his citizenship was revoked by INS. Its all still very unclear. He was termed on the spot and we contacted our attorney. They said we had acquired the right forms of ID so we should be okay.
  • Just when you think you've answered the question properly, they go and change the question on you! It never ends.

• Form I-9 or Employment Eligibility Verification requires 2 documents:
    1) documents that establish identity such as driver's license or US military card.
    2) documents that establish employment eligibility such as original social security card (other than a card stating it is not valid for employment), birth certificate issued by state, or unexpired INS Employment Authorization form.

We require all new hires to present any document(s) that establish identity and employment eligibility. Students from foreign countries may have work permit from the INS. Ask an immigration lawyer for assistance.

Eva