Automated HR in Small Co

Everytime I go to a SHRM conference, I hear how behind the times my HR department is because we have not automated many of our HR funtions through our HRIS (i.e. ee self-serve, applicant tracking, online applications, online open enrollment). I am curious how many of you out there in companies my size (approx 200 employees, HR department of 2) are using this technology and has it cut down on your administrative time? I would love to take my HR department to the next level, but how do I justify the cost?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We outsource some functions to our payrolling service, but we are not nearly as automated as I would like to be. We are apx 250 ee's in four states, 1 HR. Frankly I don't think a lot of our functions in my company require automation and it's sometimes a tough sell to the owner who can't see beyond the initial acquisition cost.
  • Hi!

Even though you are a small company,anything you can do to cut down on your administrative work, you can spend on more productive issues.

We are a 300 employee medical practice, but have 5 locations. It is amazing how much paperwork can come through in the course of a week's time. When I first came here, we did just about everything manually and it took about 5 times as long to accomplish everything.

I would suggest that you look into a company that specializes in small companies and get a system where you can start small and build as you get larger.

We recently purchased the KRONOS system for our company. They have an HR as well as a payroll package. They also have an FMLA tracker module. I spent a lot of time reviewing several different companies and KRONOS was the most user friendly and economical (even though it wasn't cheap). KRONOS is using the system formerly known as ABRA.

Whatever you can do to help yourself at the 200 employee level will certainly help you as you grow and add more products to your HRIS system.

Good luck!

• If it makes you feel better, you aren't alone. We are about the same size, a few more employees, but 2 HR staff. We bought Ceridian's HR/Payroll system a couple of years ago, primarily because Payroll (accounting dept) was already using an older Ceridian product and the conversion was less expensive.

Now HR is inputting most of the new hire info. and payroll changes, so more work for us, but we still can't get a lot of the reports we need out of the system, so we're still running an old database program and doing double entry on a lot of stuff.

None of our applications, benefit enrollment, etc. is automated. It is very difficult to get employees to come to meetings to enroll, even in free life insurance. Most of our employees don't work on computers or have access. I doubt they'd take responsibility to enroll on-line.
  • We're 150 EE's in 3 states and 2 in HR. We haven't automated applicant tracking or benefits, and we use Ceridian Payroll/HR programs. Like you, I can't justify the cost to outsource or purchase programs to automate these areas.

In the near future we will be putting W-4's, Applications, Benefits enrollment forms, etc. on our Intranet system. Employees will be able to print forms in the branches saving us the time of copying and sending them through interoffice mail. Our info systems people tell me I can even put a PowerPoint presentation on line to explain insurance, 401(k) and forms. At this rate, I won't ever have to leave the office...won't have to meet the employees...I'll become a-a-an accountant! x:o
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-08-03 AT 06:00PM (CST)[/font][p]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo.........! Not ACCOUNTING!!!!x:o
  • We are a smaller company (60 ee's) and we purchased an HRIS system 5+ years ago for reporting/tracking purposes. It has been very useful and well worth the cost. That system is outdated now and we very recently decided to change to ADP's HRIS system, so that it will integrate with payroll and eliminate duplication in data entry. Another feature that will justify some of the expense is the ability to do EEOC tracking/reporting and not outsource that. By the way there are three people in HR, but because of other (non-HR)responsibilities, our time equals 1.5 FTE's in the department. From my experience, it is worth every penny!
  • we use eBenefitManager
    designed for small companies
    very reasonably priced
    MANY hours saved; not actually counted
    check out their website at ebenefitmanager.com