Very short term labor, young workers

Every now and then i get a request to bring on somebody *very* short term for a small amount of money, to help out with a small task. Examples: a 14-year old to do 8 hours of data entry during the summer; an AA-type to coordinate a one-day workshop in an out-of-state location. We're talking about $100-$500 in compensation.

Does anyone have a policy/procedure that allows for those short-term, one-time-only hires without going through the paperwork of putting them on the payroll? I'm envision something that requires the work permit assurances (Employment Certificate for young workers, I-9, etc.) but does not process all the other stuff that results in putting them on the payroll only to take them right off.

Thanks.

Carol

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Carol:

You may want to contact your local school district office and your state employment office. Both of ours have checklists for employing underage labor - even for brief periods of time.

Zanne
  • It's interesting that you are looking for someone from the "outside" to fulfill a very short term job. I don't think that going outside would have even dawned on me.

I'd first post the need to all my existing employees - pay a little bit of overtime to someone who really needs it just this once, or find someone who usualy works fewer hours who has the flexibility/ability to take on a one-time project.

Or, if the available team member is exempt, maybe offer a "thank you" gift for the extra effort: lunch with the boss, something for their desk/work area, etc.
  • Putting aside the child labor issues, with someone working that little time, I would simply bring them on as a temporary contractor, which should eliminate your payroll problems.

Evan
  • E Wart
    I agree about payrolling through a temp agency. Then you don't have to do any of the paperwork. It may cost you a couple of extra dollars in pay, but you won't pay W/C insurance, unemployment, social security as well as cost involved in payrolling.
    Also, have you ever thought of asking present employees if anyone might be interested in doing a special project and putting in a little extra time. May be a good development opportunity or a chance to make a few extra dollars.

• We bring them on as contract labor, as long as they don't make over a total of $600.00.

Debbie
  • Do you have a sample contract for temporary workers?
    Thanks, Judy