More I-9

For some reason, I never really noticed the paragraph on the I-9 instruction page that states these documents need to be retained for three years from the date of hire or one year from date of termination (whichever is longer). Is this really true? I feel really nervous about getting rid of these after three years. How do you prove you ever did one if you get audited? Also, if over time only 50% of employees provide copies of verifying documents, should I keep those that I have and not worry about the rest, or should I be aiming for 100%? Can you tell I am doing my first-ever I-9 audit for my organization?

Comments

• 32 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You should aim for 100%. If someone has not turned in their proper forms within 72 hrs we suspend them. You can discard as the form indicates, however, you do not have to. We keep ours on file for two years after the ee leaves. It is part of our retention policy.
  • Whatever you do, do it consistently. The law does not require that you maintain I-9 files separately, but there are good reasons to do so, so you should do it 100% one way or the other. Nor does the law require that you attach documented proof of what you saw, but, if you do it half way, you're open to serious audit questions, so either do it everytime or don't do it at all. But, you must view the appropriate documents of course, whether or not you copy them. It's up to you, and based on your available filing space whether or not you EVER purge the files. Some do it religiously, as soon as law allows; some never purge. But consistency is the key to a smooth audit. Once you follow the basics of the law, you have all sorts of flexibility, uncommon with most govt requirements. Now, what are you going to do when you find half the forms filled out with blue ink and half with black? That's the real nail-biter!
  • Don is right, do what ever you do 100%. Auditors (hate or love) inconsistencies. It gives them something to do.
  • Thanks so much for the input. I hadn't even begun to worry about the blue ink/blank ink thing...wow does it ever end?!#o
  • >For some reason, I never really noticed the paragraph on the I-9
    >instruction page that states these documents need to be retained for
    >three years from the date of hire or one year from date of termination
    >(whichever is longer). Is this really true? I feel really nervous
    >about getting rid of these after three years. How do you prove you
    >ever did one if you get audited?

You wouldn't be getting rid of it while the employee was still with you. You keep for all active employees and get rid of termed employees either 3 years from date of hire or 1 year from termination whichever is longer. So if you hired someone Jan 2, 2003 and they termed on June 1, 2003-you would get rid of the I-9 on Jan 2, 2006. If someone is still with you after 20 years, one year from date of termination will be longer than three years. Generally what we do, is pull the I9 when they terminate and hold until we destroy the file in 7 years.

• CTHR was right on the money! As long as they remain employees and were hired after 1985 they must be kept. In addition, during a Department of Labor audit I was informed that it is also our responsibility to continue to ask for new I-9 documents when the old ones expire. Now I have a spreadsheet and ask for them on a monthly basis. It's not so bad once you catch up and are current, but getting there is no picnic.
  • I've actually gone through a real audit - I thought they were only something that G. Neil posted on their magazines to scare you into buying their posters...

It happened two weeks after I started in this new position and cthr and HRinCA are absolutely right! My predecessor, threw out all the I-9's after three years - but the employees were still active. We had to go through and get new information prior to the audit. HRinCA brings up one of the invaluable lessons - create that spreadsheet - it will definitely help you. Set up the reminder to talk to anyone that has upcoming expiring documents at least 3 months in advance - it sometimes takes that long to get the new ones. Also, make sure that YOU (or whoever processes the paperwork) sign and date the bottom of the form - no later than 3 days after ee start. Our auditor had a field day with that part not being done correctly. Finally, for every new hire, call Social Security and verify their SSN's. We actually had to let go of 2 employees (after they had been here for over a year) because the documents they presented at time of hire did not belong to them. It's an easy process and INS actually encourages it in their training sessions.
  • I didn't realize that I-9s have an expiration date. Can you tell me how long they are good for. I thought they were updated only when an ee changed name, employment status, etc.
  • I-9s don't have an expiration date. If a person uses an ID that expires, such as a permenant resident card, foriegn passport, etc. that you need to update.
  • I-9's don't have an expiration date - just the documents that people use to verify their identity and work status in the US. Examples include Resident Alien Cards, Employment Authorization Cards, etc.
  • Okay, that's what I thought. I love having this resource. You are all so very helpful to someone learning the ropes. Thanks.
  • We go around this question regularly since we have lots of permanent resident aliens on staff. I printed out material from INS website last 8/8/02, called "About Form 1-9, Employment Eligibility Verification." Under the heading "Green Cards" it says "Expiration dates do not affect current employment, since employers are neither required nor permitted to re-verify the employment authorization of aliens who have presented one of these cards to satisfy I-9 requirements (this is true for conditional residents as well as permanent residents)." This info. also says the documents must not be expired when the I-9 is completed, but after that the employer is not responsible for tracking and updating.

So did another agency, not INS, say you have to do it?? We used to track them and remind our people to update them and show us their new ones, but after reading this info. we stopped. Wish all the govt agencies would get on the same page!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-02-03 AT 11:46AM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-02-03 AT 11:40 AM (CST)[/font]

Straight from US Department of Justice "Employment Eligibility Verification" - Documentary Changes Based on Interim Rule 62 Fed. Reg. 51001-51006(1997) Effective September 30, 1997. Reverification (Form I-9A):

Employers are responsible for reverifying the work authorization for a person if Section 1 or 2 of the Form I-9 indicates that the individual's employment authorization expires. Employers may either complete a new Form I-9 or use Form I-9A for reverification. Whichever form is used, reverification must be completed no later than the date employment authorization expires. If the form used for reverification indicates in Section 1 or 2 that the individual's employment authorization expires, employers must again reverify no later than the expiration date. Note: List B documents never need to be reverified. Documents presented by U.S. citizens and nationals and Lawful Permanent Residents, are not subject to the reverification requirement, except in the case of Lawful Permanent Residents who present a foreign passport with a temporary I-551 stamp.

List B contains driver's licenses - so the answer is no - you don't have to follow up on those.

Also from the "Handbook for Employers - Instructiosn for Completing Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification Form)" M-274 (Rev. 11/21/91) N, page 16:

"What do I do when an employee's work authorization expires? You will need to reverify on the I-9 in order to continue to employ the person. Reverification must occur not later than the date that work authorization expires...."

I've just reviewed the INS page - oops, Homeland Security, at [url]http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/handbook/hand_emp.pdf[/url] - it's an updated version of the one that I wrote above, but it says essentially the same thing. It does go further though and states, "You may want to establish a calendar call-up system for employees whose employment authorization will expire in the future."
  • This is why we need to stick together and help each other. My data from one govt. website (also dated more recently) directly contradicts the info you have, which I was using until last August when I read the INS stuff. I will research further. Thanks.
  • No problem - I love this site too! x:-)
  • p.s. During an actual audit - it is much easier to have all of the I-9's in a seperate binder than filing each one in each ee's personnel file. This way the auditor did not have to go through all of our personnel files & review anything that they did not need to see - it also helped when the review was taking place, because I could have them perform the review in a conference room - not over my shoulder. I file them in a big binder and file all I-9's in alphabetical order. One last thing. Since the audit, we do make photocopies of the submitted doc.'s - this way if there is ever a doubt again as to expiration dates etc., we have a photocopy and the auditor can immediately review the doc.'s. About 5 of the write-ups dealt with numbers being transposed from the doc's to the forms. Our INS auditor, although it doesn't say you have to, said it's a preferred method. Very last thing, just as a reminder, if you do go the binder route, make sure it gets locked up - don't leave it around or in a bookcase. I hope this helps x:-)
  • Are you saying that if a drivers lic. is used from list B that when the lic. expires an update needs completed? Most of the time individuals renew this doc. and there really is no expiration date unless they fail to renew on time.
  • List B items don't need to be re-verified.
  • No, the expiration of a drivers license does not call for reverification. (Talk about a nightmare!)Only the immigration related documents that might expire trigger the reverification requirement. I'm amazed at the conflict in what was said to be a government website. I think more likely it was a non-government helpsite which addressed government regulations that just happened to provide inaccurate information. It is true, however, that things verified, that do not expire, do not have to be reverified while continuously employed. If the person who was previously verified becomes a newhire, that process must start over again.
  • Don, my quote earlier came from [url]http://www.ins.gov/graphics/howdoi/faqeev.htm[/url] on 8/8/2002. I have the printout in front of me. That sounds like an official government website to me.

Another paragraph in the same material says "The current version of the Form I-9 and the Handbook for Employers are dated 11/21/91. Both doucments are undergoing revision to reflect changes in U. S. immigration law since they were issued, but the publication dates have not been established. The proposed changes and Form I-9 published in February 1998 are NOT currently in effect. Interim changes made on September 30, 1997 are currently in effect."

Talk about confusing. Anyway do we know what the interim changes from 1997 are? At least part of them refer to certain documents that are no longer acceptable.
  • Just re-read mwild31 post above which quotes 1997 info. Sounds like that's the one to use. Okay, I'll go back to tracking dates!

By the way, we do keep all current I-9s in a binder and do have a tracking system that actually isn't far out of date. I audit all I-9s periodically to make sure they are completely filled out.
  • To further complicate the discussion, I have just received official notice of an OFCCP Review to include a review of the I-9 process. They tend to bootleg these things when they get a toe in the door. The material they sent me on the I-9 process states in part, as we all know, "When an ee's WORK AUTHORIZATION expires you must reverify his employment eligibility. You must reverify on the form I-9 not later than the date the ee's work authorization expires." I think the answer very simply is that a driver's license establishes IDENTITY, not employment eligibility. Identity does not expire or change, whereas eligibility may. Only those things that do or may expire must be reverified.
  • Don:

Note: List B documents never need to be reverified. Documents presented by U.S. citizens and nationals and Lawful Permanent Residents, are not subject to the reverification requirement, except in the case of Lawful Permanent Residents who present a foreign passport with a temporary I-551 stamp.

• Did mwild31 say what I think they said?? What is the source document? That said lawful permanent residents do not need to reverify. Their "green" cards may have an expiration date, but my original information said we don't have to track them.

Maybe there is a distinction between temporary residents and Permanent resident aliens. Maybe we are all right on different pieces of this!

Good luck Don, glad I don't have any federal contracts to worry with. You can let us know what those inspectors tell you about it.
  • Hi

Just re-read the post that I take directly from the source - all I did was copy the note section and posted it with Don's. If there are truly more questions here and you're still worried about source doc.'s then go directly to the homeland security site that I posted earlier. You can find the answers there as well as the most current version in use on the Employer's Guide. I hope this helps.
  • WOW - this discussion is amazing. Over the 9 years I've been at HR, the I-9's have made me the most anxious. I had posted a question about reverification a month or so ago and the response I got was this; permanent resident cards (Resident Alien Cards, Permanent Cards, and Alien Registration Receipt Cards) should NOT be reverified, but temporary resident cards should. Now I'm completely confused! What is a temporary resident card???
  • There is a distinction between a perm resident alien card ("green card" also known as a I-551 card), and a temp work authorization card (also known as I-688). The perm resident green cards do not need to and SHOULD NOT be reverified after expiration. The temp work authorization cards are the ones that need to be reverified. I can't think of anything for List B or C that would need to be reverified, unless it was a different INS document that was used for List C.
    Hope that helps!
  • Yippee, skippee! We're all correct. We just had to make that distinction between temporary and permanent.
  • >There is a distinction between a perm resident alien card ("green
    >card" also known as a I-551 card), and a temp work authorization card
    >(also known as I-688). The perm resident green cards do not need to
    >and SHOULD NOT be reverified after expiration. The temp work
    >authorization cards are the ones that need to be reverified. I can't
    >think of anything for List B or C that would need to be reverified,
    >unless it was a different INS document that was used for List C.
    >Hope that helps!

What is the purpose of the expiration date on the Perm resident card then and why would you not re-verify it.