Employment Law Posters

Sales people for compliance posters have been causing my telephone to ring off the hook the last few weeks. They claim that changes to federal laws occurred in May 2003, and consequently, mandatory employment posters must be updated or we'll be "out of compliance". (They also state our state employment law posters are out-of-date too as language required for state posters - Minnesota - changed in March 2003.) It seems to me that if there were changes to language for mandatory postings, I would have heard about it in every HR industry newsletter and email that I receive. Anyone know if we're out-of-compliance if we don't order these new postings? I'm guessing they are just pulling a marketing ploy - but thought I'd look to my fellow forumites for information and advice. Thanks!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You can go to govdocs.com and download your Federal poster for free. They are updated as needed and in compliance. As far as your state posters, we operate in six different states so I subscribe to govdoc.com for my state specific posters so when updates occur I am notified via email(there is a fee for this). However, usually you can go to your state DOL website and download state specific posters. Hope this helps.
  • I don't know the answer for your state, but if you contact your state labor & industry department, they should either provide you with free posters, and/or websites so you can print the required posters. At least our state does.

for example, in addition to our state posters, the required federal ones you can receive via
    [url]www.dol.gov/osbp/sbrefa/poster/main.htm[/url],
    [url]www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/posters/eppa.htm[/url],
    [url]www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/posters/fmla.htm[/url]

• My usual response to these sales calls is to say, "Thanks for tipping me off -- I'll go to my state website and print out the new ones right away (for free)." They don't like that. As a matter of course, I make it a point to print new ones every year because they tend to get kind of dog-eared. So at least once a year I know I have the correct postings.
  • I agree with parabeagle. Let them know you will update your poster for free. Most state DOL websites have the most up-to-date posters available. You may have to look a little but they are there.