FLSA - Exempt or Non-Exempt

I just started with new company. We're bringing on a HR assistant to perform HR functions. We plan to bring her on as a salaried employee. Should she be exempt or non-exempt? I know there is criteria for this: Execs, admin, outside sales, professionals; however, I have not been involved in this area before and would appreciate some advice.

Thanks for any feedback,
RO

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It depends on what experience/education the person brings in and the work they will do. If this is a 4-year graduate with a degree in HR, has some experience and will be working somewhat independently, setting up advertising, interviews, referencing, solving benefit problems, then the person is exempt. I would lean towards starting them as non-exempt if they are new to HR, are just a recent grad with no experience, will be working under your direction or are an admin assist that is moving up. You can always make the person exempt later when you move them up to coordinator and they are working more on their own.
  • What if they don't have a degree but 3+ years of experience, work independantly, make their own hours but don't supervise anyone? That is me by the way and I am non-exempt looking to ask for exempt status.
    Also I only report to the General Manager/ Executive Director.