Internal New Hire Paperwork

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how everyone handles the new hire process - basically, what paperwork (if any) do you need to have completed and signed off by the manager, department head, Sr. Management etc. before you extend an offer.

Here the background: When a position becomes open, we have the department head fill out a req and we start the recruitment process, i.e, interview, select, and extend an offer. When we extend an offer, it's based on a the hiring manager's request that the offer be extended (no signed paperwork).

Recently a Department Head really ticked me off and set me up good. The position required that both he and our CEO interview all the candidates. Well needless to say, he interviewed a person that our CEO did not and wanted me to make an offer. When I hesitated he literally stood over me (he's an Executive Director and I'm a Manager) and demanded that I make the offer saying he would deal with the CEO. Unfortunately, both my ED and CFO were out of the office that day, so against my better judgement I made the offer. As soon as I made the offer and the person accepted, he began back peddling saying that he wanted to wait to make the offer because he didn't get approval etc. I explained what happened to Sr. Management right away and I didn't end up in trouble (I think they actually felt sorry for me because I was so hopping mad about the whole situation).

I now have another position open for this same ED and I'm afraid that he's going to try to pull the same crap (sorry) again so I want to put a process and/or procedure into place so it won't.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

LFernandes

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I had this same situation happen - I implemented a policy that I must have written approval from the Executive. On many occassions I have referred back to policy and refuse to move forward without the written approval. Because my Executive (V.P. and Owners) back me up - I am confident tell the Managers/Directors No.
  • We have a form managers must fill out, sign, get proper approval on and then return to us before we make an offer. I would be happy to send it to you if you give me your email. x:)
  • Thanks! - my email address is [email]Laura.Fernandes@collabo.com[/email]
  • This chapter is a tongue twister....LAURA LEARNS A LESSON.
    This falls squarely under the category, pardon my french, of 'cover your ass'. I advocate the use of a REQUISITION form that meets your specific purpose. It should have spaces for all the required signatures. The one I'm most familiar with even has check off signatures for the authorization to run advertisements (thus spend money) and the same form is used to get temps. Managers will run up and want temps without authorization and expect you to take the heat for having gotten them at their request. And a variety of different authorities in the company might later challenge your decision to run newspaper ads or fly people in for interviews. It just never hurts to get the necessary support and authorization before obligating the company, unless you own it.

When it comes time to draft offer letters, you should always get the initials of the hiring authority on your draft and depending on the organization, perhaps your boss and the CEO. And keep even the draft in the personnel file for your own defense down the road. I can tell you that an offer letter pulled out of a file 3 years down the road can be contested and questioned and somebody will ask you who approved it and who worded it and who inserted that bonus plan and who increased vacation from two weeks to three.

And now that this particular director has put you in a tight spot, in the future run him through an extra hoop or two.

CMA CYA CMA CYA CMA CYA CMA CYA CMA CYA
  • Thanks for the tongue twister Don! x:-8

We actually have the requsition process in place whereby the hiring manager has to have all the signatures before we start to recruit. Once the candidate has been selected and approved, I discuss it with my boss, check references and make the verbal. I then create the offer letter which is signed by the Exec Director of HR and goes out with the new hire package to the new EE.

CYA - how about my whole body. I don't trust this person as far as I can spit (which isn't far). But believe me, I'm DEFINATELY going to have this Exec Dir jump through numerous hoops and run around in circles. Now when he comes to speak to me, I refuse to give him an answer and tell him that any changes must be approved by our CEO before I make a move (which I don't do unless I hear it from our CEO's lips to my ears).

I think I want to revamp our whole process. It's really sad when you have to completely change things all because of one person. This isn't the first time I had to change a whole process because of this ED. Really makes you think.....

Laura

• We have a system in place where I have to get the signed application and the payroll input form signed by the manager and executive director before I will do anything on the hiring process. This way I know the application was approved and the salary has also been approved.