Demands from a person on leave- HELP

I have an ee on pregnancy leave she is returning shortly. I am currently writing a letter stating her job duties upon her return along with hours and lunch break. Her supervisor just showed me an e-mail from her telling us what her hours are going to be that she can not have a set time for lunch and will have to be off on dates down the road along with leaving early on other days. She has utilized all her FMLA leave during maternity leave. How am I suppose to respond to this. Do we have to accomodate these requests?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Generally, employers are able to establish the work hours and responsibilities of their employees. You didn't say why she is informing your organization of her scheduling issues, but the only thing that comes to my mind which would allow her further protected time away from work would be if she has a condition which might qualify her under the ADA (a flexible schedule or occassional time off may be considered a reasonable accommodation) or if your individual state has some law(s) which may apply. I think that, barring any serious health issues on her part, you would probably be ok with telling her the schedule she is required to work, and informing her that she must request time off in advance as she needs it, as everyone else does, and the supervisor can then make a determination whether or not to grant the time off. Be careful to treat her fairly and not make demands for her schedule or deny time off when it isn't warranted or when you would treat anyone else "better".
  • I am assuming she is requesting this because she wants to make her schedule more convenient with her new lifestyle. You are under no obligation to change the work schedule for her desires. Unless there is a medical or legal issue here, send her the letter and outline the fact that her duties, responsibilities and hours are the same as when she left for her leave and unless there is a valid reason for the requested changes, you are unable to accomodate her requests.

• Actually, to me it sounds like someone with babysitting issues. In any case, even if she has some medical condition, she cannot make demands, she can make a request. I agree with the others and send the letter pointing out the hours she is expected to work and the company policy on personal days, sick days, vacation days etc.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-04-03 AT 01:49PM (CST)[/font][p]I agree with the above posters, which may sound self-contradictory.

However I point out that right now you don't know anything of what the e-amil is based upon. So, before you decide on a course of action, someone needs to talk to the employee and find out what's up. And then decide how best to handle it.
  • Send the letter you were preparing to send..........if she has legitimate reasons she can bring them to you. If she does not and demands special treatment let her know that the COMPANY not her sets the hours. If she is unhappy with them she can always find work elsewhere.
    My $0.02 worth. Can you tell how tolerant I am of employees that demand things.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Since she was on FMLA you do need to return her to the same position and pay. If the company needs to make significant changes to the position it would be best to wait until after she has returned to work.
  • I agree with Balloonman. The company, not the employee sets the rules. It doesn't really matter WHY she is making these demands. Return her to her former position, hours, pay, etc. as the FMLA requires. If she cannot work the hours the company has set, then she may have to work somewhere else. I too have no tolerance for demanding employees.